Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 New Zealand Half Crown Damage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 323Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
96 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  12:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeVegas444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The spot on the obverse in George between the O and R is damage? It looks like the metal has peeled back? Just making sure this is PMD and not a lamination issue or something else. I did the best I could with the pictures. It is a 1942 coin. Thank you.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17626 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult with this example to be very sure that it is a small lamination when looking at two dimensional pictures.

I think? it is a small lamination caused by contamination of the metal strip during the rolling process, before the blanks are cut from the strip.
I think? that if it was PMD, then any metal gouged out after impact would have broken away.

To confirm for yourself, look at the subject area at a shallow angle, using a 10x loupe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4974 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd call it an inclusion.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeVegas444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69l - Thank you for your response. Taking pictures of these things is kind of tough. What you're saying about lamination and damage makes sense to me.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeVegas444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ kanga - Thank you for your response. I'm still kind of new to this. What do you mean by inclusion?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1624 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say but I'd say a lamination flaw too.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05