Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Die Break Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 414Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  11:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Penny-pincher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1982 penny with a large die break I guess covering in god completely. I'm trying to find more information and wondering if I should send it to PCGS for grading etc. I can't upload the image here because I don't have one of those fancy cameras. I could really use some help figuring this penny out. Thanks anyone for commenting and helping.
m84DkTtre7M
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like a cud however you need to post good cropped and close up photos of the entire coin, obverse and reverse, for more assistance. See the image tutorial.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penny-pincher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks and I will. I'm going to order one of those usb microscopes and post new pictures. All I have to use now is an iPhone. I attempted to upload a photo from it but it says the image is too large. Plus the quality is bad. I'll order one and post new pictures ASAP. Thanks for your time and response.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several others here talk about using their iPhone for photos but I've yet to try. I suppose it would work depending on the type of photo you're trying to produce. Size can be adjusted via the tool here. It just takes some practice, trial and error.

Good luck,

Learn More...
United States
91047 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not watching your youtube video. LOL
Just kidding, I'll give you the views.

I can't see it well in the video. HOWEVER, I can see it well enough to know it's a 1982 CUD without a doubt.

Check http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-cuds-1982/

CU-1c-1982-21(LD)(Cu)
CU-1c-1982-37(LD)(Cu)
CU-1c-1982-41(SD)(Cu) (i think likely this one but need closer pictures to confirm, or you can confirm it)
CU-1c-1982-52 (zinc I think)

maybe one of these above.

Absolutely NOT on sending it for grading, it's only worth a couple bucks to begin with as it stands, grading would just be throwing money away, or in essence any money you would have made would have went to grading fees.

Positively identfying the cud goes a long way to it being legit to a prospective buyer.
you'd want to verify by weight if it's copper or zinc, large date or small date since it's 1982, obverse and reverse picture, and if you can match it to any of the know cuds.

your coin isn't a small cud, it's not the biggest, but it's not the smallest and a nice example.
Probably worth $15-$50 depending on how you sold it and when, but if you sent it for grading, you'd likely lose money on it, between the fee and shipping.

and something like this really doesn't need to be graded if you've done your homework on it. it's clear to anyone that's interested what it is.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
10/19/2020 4:07 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penny-pincher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol thanks for the reply's. My new usb microscope should be in tomorrow so I can post better pictures. I have quite a few coins to post here. Thanks for the save on sending it off though. I've been collecting for years but never really found anything. You guys are good people. I'll be posting many more things coming soon.
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We all look forward to seeing your collection!

We Love em

smat
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 414Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05