Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 Steel Penny DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 405Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I'm having some trouble figuring out if this 1943 LWC is a double die or not. The "IN G" looks to be the strongest evidence for a double die, but perhaps it's just a trick of the light? The coin has die cracks on the bust and various other places as well. There's also a strange zig zag die crack that goes from TRUST down to the top of the head. Or could just be PMD. Can anyone help me out with this one? Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought is perhaps this cent has been plated. We see a great deal of these plated. Perhaps it is a trick of the light, but this coin appears to be very shiny. While "shiny" is normally a good quality in a coin, a normal 1943 cent is naturally a duller silver colour.

I see very little doubling (in the motto) but there is also a bit of glare from the lighting, perhaps another indication of plating. Sometimes the plating is such a good job that it's hard to tell, other than the overall colour. Sometimes the edges will tell, but not always. It would be best to show this cent side-by-side with a known unplated original.

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think my microscope lighting/ambient lightings may just be too bright here, and that's what is causing the shine. I don't however think this one is plated. I have a bunch of plated and unplated ones for references, and this one is significantly less shiny than the plated. Different textures as well. Could be lighting was causing the doubling effect and there just happens to be die cracks on this one too.
Edited by almostpennylane
10/19/2020 01:26 am
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey merclover, here's a side by a side pic. Let me know what ya think :)

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36453 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a DDO. The Z looks like a scratch. Check all three sites that we all use to see if you find a match for a doubled die and let us know the results.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52097 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Evident Die Deterioration, but not a DDO that I can see.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47357 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember the spread rule. The spread is on the center of the devices:

Die wear will show on the side closest to the rim:

Machine Doubling affects the outside of the devices in usually a single direction:

And a doubled die can have Machine Doubling:

Note on each date you see a doubled die? But on each area with a yellow arrow, that is the direction the Machine Doubling affected the devices. Machine Doubling is caused by the machine. Die wear is a progressive die event. A doubled die has the doubling on the die and can be altered by the machine. (which a seasoned collector prefers not to have on a doubled die as it is a distraction to the hub doubling) Machine Doubling is common, die wear is common as all dies go through that phase as the end of the dies life. A doubled die can also be affected by die wear. Thus the better examples are the earlier die state examples.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 405Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05