Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2003 Centenary Of Women's Suffrage $1 Coin Varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 308Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
795 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  09:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Quote:
nice haul, especially the 2003 Centenary of women's suffrage $1 variety where the
base of the trident's left fork is right up to the rim, without a gap. These 2003 $1 suffrage no gap varieties were always the harder of the two to find in UNC or better. You found a good one.

This was brought up in another thread http://goccf.com/t/378775&whichpage=20 but I thought it would be best to further discuss it in a new thread.

As I was unaware of the two varieties I did a bit of research and found this http://goccf.com/t/120947

I also compared the coin that I had previously posted with some others that I had.

Am I correct in thinking that the one that I originally posted is the large die variety and the same as coin 4?
As pointed out by Mr T lately 'The thickness of the letters for one - look at the LL in DOLLAR for example' also helps distinguish between the two. http://goccf.com/t/120947

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1624 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your coin and coin 4 are the same type - they really are a little tricky to tell apart.
Valued Member
Australia
124 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

there is also a gap between the trident's pole going through 2nd L of " Dollar ".

I can't remember now, but early 2004 a few months after noticing that there wasn't a gap between the trident's left fork and the rim on some of these $1 coins, I was curious as to whether there could have been two "stampings " of some of these $1 coins because it appeared at the time that the DOLLAR was usually in the same place and not out of kilter like the trident's no gap left fork or the trident's pole having a gap between its pole and the 2nd L and the A of Dollar.

Someone might know
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1624 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah not sure when this was first widely reported.
I didn't notice it in 2003 but I knew about it probably in 2009 or 2010.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05