Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On Pricing Errors Or Mistaken Prices..

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 736Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The first thing I would think is that it's a counterfeit.

Me, too. I'd wonder what was wrong with it.

This is nowhere near a $20k mistake, but I saw a bunch of older coins at a yard sale once—a couple was clearing out grandma's house, and just trying to unload what they could. I picked through and they had a couple Standing Liberty quarters, some Walkers and several Mercuries, along with a good pile of wheaties, mostly pretty well circulated but the SL's and walkers looked maybe AU to me. Wanted something like $10 for the bunch (I think they just figured they'd ask a little over face value). I grabbed them before someone else could and took them to the person taking money and told her I couldn't swear to the actual value, but I was certain she could get more than $10 from a dealer. The melt value on the silver alone would've been at least $20.

Would I do the same with an actual dealer? Probably. I'd be more likely to think I was missing something and they knew what they were doing, so I'd probably say something like, "what am I missing here?" Which would alert them, right?
Edited by twslisa
10/26/2020 1:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A friend or someone I know; I would tell them.

If at a dealer I would ask if the price is correct. If one I have a regular business relation with I would say something.

Online or coin stores I visit when on vacation - not a word about their mistake. I feel like they should have done better research OR attention to detail on their price input if a typo. Honest mistakes occur and prior to transaction it can be rectified/cancelled. But if the transaction has already completed on both parties part, I am not going to lose sleep. They didn't realize what they had or inadvertently got sloppy without double checking inputs. Neither are my issue. To me it is like cherry picking - find the diamond in the rough. Seller beware applies just as much as buyer beware as tdz mentioned.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
10/26/2020 2:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3974 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone watch Antiques Road Show?

Have you ever heard the person with the antique they bought for $20 be told it's worth $1,000, and then say "Oh, I feel terrible. I'd better go compensate the seller better?"

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 736Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05