Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 Black Eagle Silver Certificate Fr.#235 Elliot/White Block H-A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 667Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:03 pm Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I normally do not dabble in paper currency but this caught my eye.

Upon receiving it on closer inspection the reverse seemed off center and the entire back seems to be slanted up to the right.

Anyone know if this is normal? or could be normal?

Any grade ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like the cut was not straight which is giving you the impression of the slant. However, others may have a different or better explanation.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
2659 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The large notes from what I've seen are not cut perfectly. They are cut large to small. I have 1 note that barely fits in a currency holder.

Your note is very nice. I see a large fold in the middle. I can't tell if there are anymore though. Based on the picture I would say XF 45 to AU, I would need to see it in person to give a better estimate.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The note would not bring a premium unless some part of the design was missing. Difficult to evaluate high-grade notes from scans, which typically do not capture paper quality or subtle folds.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/21/2020 10:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3666 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Typical centering for this series.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree this is a strong XF but no error in terms of centering as that's quite common. Nice note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd also call it XF. Nice note!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, one last question, would you have it graded? Pros/Cons? I'm a little more at home making that call with coins, but currency?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2659 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The note can be worth north of $200. If you are planning on selling it, get it graded, if your not, than why get it graded?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's kinda what I was looking for, valuation. If you were to get It graded would you use PCGS new service? Or PMG?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would use PMG.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry coinfrog, could you elaborate a little? I know nothing about currency, I googled and read, they seem to have the same membership type thing going on as PCGS, is your suggestion based on how people look at the TPG, or how they grade?

I know it's not your job to educate folks, but I'm just interested in maybe why that you would go that way, nothing extensive, just a blurb.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over the years, PMG has tended to be a bit more conservative than the old PCGS, whose notes cross to PMG only around 75% of the time the last I checked. The graded universe of the new PCGS is not large enough to generalize about, at least for me. Others may feel differently.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/25/2020 7:47 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Sir!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMG went over the 5 Million notes graded mark earlier in the year. I believe April. That tells me there's confidence in the brand which is an arm of the Certified Collectors Group ... the same people that bring us NGC.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 667Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05