Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Your Threshold? Coins In Your Albums

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 666Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:14 pm Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm working on filling my first coin albums, and I'm curious what everyone's "threshold" is for what makes it in the album. For example, if all you have is an AG common Wheat cent, does it go in the album to hold the place? Or do you wait until you find something "worthy" of the album? I'm doing the "placeholder" approach, and will swap if I find something better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4969 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used a slightly different term (space filler) but it means the same.
And that's a perfectly good way to grow and improve your collection.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2662 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer is it depends.

I generally have a price limit of what I'll buy, so if the item costs more I may go down in grade.

My low cost bison nickels album has from AG to AU, with 90% being VG-VF.

My Indian Head cents album actually I upgraded a few so nothing is lower than a G. With the vast majority being VF/AU

My Wheat Cents has nothing lower than VF with everything after 1930 (except for the 1931 S) being MS and my memorial album is all MS.

So the answer is it depends.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/21/2020 10:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1641 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thresholds vary a lot and I have 2 grades of albums and a further grade of bagging.

1. The A albums - Mylar pages and mylar coin holders in quality ring binders.

British Coins - All Halfcrowns, Florins, Pennies, Halfpennies and Farthings - better Crowns, and other denominations - again just the best example of each date except a few Halfcrowns and Florins that are decent quality (eg VF 1930 Florin stays put on a spearate page away from 1930 EF florin)
Florins and Halfcrowns have a separate album and this also contains foreign halfcrowns such as Ireland, South Africa, Boer and Rhodesia
Coppers also have a separate album.
Avg condition - Silver coins VG - Fine to 1900 - F -VF to 1930 and EF after 1930
Copper varies Farthings mostly VF to UNC, Pennies and Halves mostly G - VF before 1926 and at least VF after 1926.

New Zealand coins - Best example of each Predecimal and surplus 8 silver Halfcrowns in VF condition, complete 1965 sets and 1967, 68 and 1969 Polished decimal sets. Early tokens and medals
NZ cond - Copper all at least VF, Silver 3d most VF or EF some Fine, 6d and 1/- mostly VG - VF, Florins and Halfcrowns, all at least VF with many EF and UNC. All 1960s and later coins are at least AU.

World silver, including Europe USA, Fiji and higher quality Australian Florins (Only best and rare coins)
Mostly VF to EF but range from Good to UNC

2. B albums - PVC like just two

$2 coin collection (Album will be upgraded)
Green album with small world silver, NZ modern circulation, Australian 5c, 10c and 20c and better world base coins.
Fijian collection of base metal Predecimal to current coins (Fijian silver in the A albums)
Most of these coins are at least VF and many AU - UNC

3. C grade storage

One container with Plastic bag of Kiwi duplicates - pennies, halfpence, George VI base, QE2 base and silver
Modern NZ coins - 1c to $1 UNC set liberated coins, Bag of 1967 - 2005 circulation coins, bag of 1c and 2c coins. Bags of 2018 Armistice and Anzac coins

Box with British coins, modern circulation, obselete decimal, Pennies, Halfpennies and old Predecimal base and silver

Metal Green box with bags of coins.

Each bag contains coins from one country, all coins are base metal. One extra bag for medals and tokens, world miscellaneous - like 1 coin from a weird country like Bhutan, Bag of worn world junk silver.

It all works for me!

4. D Storage (More like B-)

2 shoeboxes about to be 3 that contain mint and proof sets along with separate coins in slabs like Kiwi big dollars, UK mint sets, Silver proof sets, American Proof sets - Carded souvenir coins etc. All are well packaged and protected.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/21/2020 11:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  02:07 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if all you have is an AG common Wheat cent, does it go in the album to hold the place?

Yes.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your question - yes if that is what you have currently then use it for fill the gap until you get a upgrade. I'd rather see a hole filled then an empty slot.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14312 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both ways you mentioned are fine with me . Do the AG coin in the album if you are a newbie . Or leave it empty till you find a decent grade to fill it that coincides with the rest of your set if your a seasoned collector .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19853 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My method is to just get a coin for my Album. Then if I find a better one, it goes into that Album and the one that was there before goes into a 2x2 flip and that ends up in box. As those extras in the box grows, I get a new Album and place all those extras in there. Then as I get an even better one for that fist Album, it goes into Album 1 and the one from there now goes into number 2 and the one from 2 now goes into a 2x2 flip and into a box. This continues until I have as many as 10 albums or more of each type of coin.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer to leave a coin in a hole once it has been filled, but I have made some exceptions in the past and I cannot say there will not be others in the future.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck

I have only one Flying Eagle cent so far, and it's so incredibly worn I had to do some process of elimination to determine the date/type. The front of the coin is almost flat, but there it sits in my eagle/Indian head album! Looks better there than it does locked up and out of sight.
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks better there than it does locked up and out of sight.
I agree.

The Barber dime in my 7070 is similar. It is easily the lowest grade coin in the album, but I will not replace or upgrade it. I found it roll hunting nearly thirty years ago and I can still feel the thrill I had when I first saw it. I like it being in my type set for that reason.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I get a coin that I'm not happy with because it has a scratch or blemish that I didn't notice (auction). Those coins are traded away. They never make it into my album. That's my criteria.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on what you're doing. and what you want as a finished product.

I am putting sets together from circulation, condition isn't an issue, any legit, clear example will do.

However, I also do bought sets, in this case, I'm taking let's say the Key date and figuring out what price range I can afford to get that to complete the set Then I try to "match" the set to that grade and get the nicest examples of that grade.

Like a winged liberty dime set, I won't go with an AG3 or G4 for the 1916D, But I'm not very comfortable dropping a few thousand on one either. So i'd be looking for a VG8 or better in the $1000-$1200 range, and then I'd be matching the rest of the set to that. Figure out what you want as a finished set before you begin, be sure you can afford to do it, then, In my opinion, start with the hardest coins first.

in my personal opinion, I dislike the appearance of a set that has MS coins and then the Key dates are all AG3s.

for my circulation roll hunting finds sets, I love a good upgrade game and hole fillers or place holders, a constant work in progress. But for bought coin and putting them together in sets, I'm really just trying to get a set of examples in a nice, uniform condition, and complete it in a timely manner.

I did it all the same way years ago, but I found like in the Mercury dime sets case, I found myself sitting on hole fillers I was unhappy with and stalling to pull the trigger on one I would be happy with, or.... finding my common dates were way too nice for the set to look good compared to the more expensive coins.

Most importantly though, it's your hobby, your collection, do whatever you like and have fun.
I found that if you start with the commons, myself and many other people (judging by ebay) never get around to completing sets because they find that the more expensive dates are too expensive and what they can do doesn't make them happy in their set so they abandon completing it, or just get the cheapest hole fillers possible and call it a day.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
10/23/2020 3:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

When I make a purchase to fill a hole in my US Large Cent collection, I move on to the next coin I am missing, I don't continue a search for an upgrade as my purchase was the best condition for my budget.

Stumbling across a smokin deal upgrade is a different story.
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I make a purchase to fill a hole in my US Large Cent collection, I move on to the next coin I am missing, I don't continue a search for an upgrade as my purchase was the best condition for my budget.

Quote:
Stumbling across a smokin deal upgrade is a different story.
Pillar of the Community
United States
797 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's the nicest condition that my budget will allow at the time. For series about 1940 to present I will only incorporate uncirculated into my 7070 because of availability. Older series that are more difficult to acquire in unc will follow the criteria above. I have several coins in my 7070 with holes or other issues, where they are in a condition that would otherwise be out of my price range were it not for the flaws.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel 1930; Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (United Kingdom)
Edited by hcmusicguy
10/26/2020 5:56 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 666Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05