Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It Legit? - Deutsche Reichbank 3 Kilo Silver Bar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 741Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add akguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, our yard guy accepted this little gem as downpayment for a job, and then (of course) the individual ended up not having the job completed and never paid the amount agreed upon.

Bad business practices notwithstanding, inquired if I had any idea of whether it's authentic silver (it sure looks it) and what it's worth? I told him beyond the spot price for silver, I was unsure if there was any collectible value. Obviously, this is not something most folks would want, but there seems to be a market for just about everything.

After doing some searches on eBay and Google etc, I'm coming up completely empty, which makes my alarm bells go off as to its authenticity, or it's just very uncommon. So here I am.

Anybody want to take a shot? Any ideas?

Edited by akguy
10/22/2020 10:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3666 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably need to weigh it and xrf to verify it is silver. That would be a starting point.
Edited by jimbucks
10/21/2020 11:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11132 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  01:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that immediately stood out to me is that I believe it should be "REICHSBANK", with an S, so I have real doubts about its authenticity without looking any further. It should probably also say "Silber" somewhere on it.

Edit: Looking at Wikipedia, it wasn't officially called the "Deutsche Reichsbank" until 1939, which is after this bar is dated.

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Edited by spruett001
10/22/2020 01:56 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
492 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  02:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Whatever it is made of, it is not made in Berlin in 1936. The misspelling of Reichsbank is an immediate give-away. Also, the eagle and the swastika look rather hazy, not of the quality one would expect from the German National Bank. And it should state "Feinsilber" and the purity, if genuine.
Learn More...
United States
17733 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, all of the letters were done with punches by hand, one at a time. I wouldn't expect that if genuine.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17626 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
erafjel and spruett101 have made points that cannot be ignored.

To help verify, would need to do a density test and
an ultrasound test, to make sure it hasn't got a core of different metal alloy of the same density as silver.

XRF is if no use; it only examines the metal surface only, which if fake, could still reveal a silver surface.
XRF will only confirm fake if the surface metal is not pure silver.
Learn More...
United States
92481 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3194 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it has already had a hole drilled into it,

Most likely someone at some point has already had it tested..
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add akguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the above observations make me doubt its authenticity even more. Especially the crude hand-stamping and the fact that while it's labeled as "3 Kilos" three kilos of what? Since that minor detail is glaringly absent in addition to any kind of purity stamp.

Just spitballing here... but could this be a bar of nickel? There is an ASTM B425 Nickel Alloy which might explain the 425 stamp. But was nickel ever so valuable that the ReichBank would be minting bars of it?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5641 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11132 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know nickel was very important militarily during the war, but I don't know if they actually produced bars like this. Nickel is pretty hard, though, and that bar's abuse makes it appear to be a softer metal.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
492 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickel was (and is) a strategic metal with military uses and it can be made into bars, but I don't think this is a nickel bar. If it was, it would be marked as such ("Nickel" is the same in German), if it was a nickel alloy it would also be marked more specifically as such and not just with a number. Furthermore, making nickel bars would be an industrial task, not something the Reichsbank would do. I think the "425" just is, or purports to be, a serial number.
Valued Member
Netherlands
60 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The arms on the bar look like those on a German 5 Mark coin of the 1990's (foto borrowed from Numista). I cannont see clearly but it looks incuse and also the eagle looks to the right instead of to the left as on the coin. Probably the arms were stamped using such a coin. The swastika below clearly was stamped using a separate die. The arms are also different from those used by the Reichsbank qt the time as is clear from the arms I copied from a 20 Reichsmark note from 1939.

Edited by Eligius
10/23/2020 04:04 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
492 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good catch, @Eligius!

Hard to see, but the eagle on the bar has its head pointing to the right. The eagle on the German coat of arms (the Reichsadler) always has its head pointing to the left, like on the coin (which is called Bundesadler after the war). An impression will make a mirror image, of course. (The German Nazi party's variant of the eagle, the Parteiadler, had its head pointing to the right, but the Reichsbank used only the Reichsadler.)
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3279 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably the arms were stamped using such a coin.
the two stripes are particularly obvious.

I think the impression of the last digit of the date is visible just left of the swastika, though at this resolution and quality I can't tell which digit it was.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 741Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05