Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Think This Is A SMS 1964 Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 603Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  06:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ddi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36524 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Here is info. We need close ups of your coin.
https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-ce...sults-012417
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52237 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, much larger pics of both sides, please.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
92481 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47462 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not. The only SMS examples are in sets. The hope to find one is not a realistic goal. There are markers for that die:
Obverse:

Reverse:

The die is VEDS (Very-Early-Die-State) It is a special strike (probably twice) making it stronger. Because they didn't make proof cents on the 1965-1967 coins, these were special strikes that have almost a matte finish on them.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/22/2020 11:08 am
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ddi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will work on making the images larger and with a reverse.

Will the image tutorial show me how to do this?

Is there someone that can tell me the right way to get a nice large image? Thanks - ddi

PS - It may take awhile...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47462 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted these larger images so you could compare the die scratches to your coin. The less than 100 examples were from the very first strikes. If your coin doesn't have these markers, then it is not a SMS coin. The most obvious is the lathe lines near the left plantar. The dies were only used for these strikes, for the SMS striking process. But were used later for a normal business strike usage.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ddi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most obvious is the lathe lines near the left plantar.

What is a left plantar?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47462 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the reverse there are two planters next to the left and the right of the stairs:
Richard S. Cooper

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ddi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello -It took awhile to get these photos, I hope they are what you need.

DSCI0827-ccfopt
DSCI0848-ccfopt
IMG_20201031_130542909-ccfopt
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ddi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some times I'm no smarter than a box of crackers but I finally got the photos to show up.

I hope these photos are what you need. And could this also be a close A/M?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47462 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal reverse. The close AM didn't start as part of the design until 1993. (a few on 1992 cents that are rare) So the idea for a close AM wouldn't appear for 30 later)

While the coin does have fresh dies because it is a EDS/EMDS example, it is a normal strike. The SBS were special strike examples. (Probably like a proof type strike with two strikes that enhance the devices a lot more) Look at the same areas of the images above and then look at the same areas on your images. The strikes are a lot stronger on the SMS coins. Also the lathe lines on the reverse of the SMS by the left plantar can be seen on the SMS coins.

You can see these stronger on the risers and on the steps, and the bays.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 603Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05