Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New England Bank Note Co. Boston, Five Dollar Bill ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 423Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  5:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have tried to research this $5.00 bill but have had no luck. Claremont Bank, New Hampshire. New England Bank Note Co. Boston is in small letters under the the lower Claremont.
I do not see a date on it. It is very thin paper. When I hold it up to the light, I can see some pin holes. Possible bugs? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
obsolete currency--when you do your search just add obsolete currency to it---claremont bank new hampshire obsolete currency--
Edited by mikev50
10/22/2020 7:10 pm
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you mikev50, I did not find any of Claremont Bank on eBay. I saw other similar bills. I did find 6 using that search on Worthpoint. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2904 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Claremont Bank Obsoletes are often counterfeited. Compare yours to examples found here... https://currency.ha.com/c/search-re...&limitTo=all
Valued Member
Poland
227 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a spurious / counterfeit issue judging by the quality of the vignettes. Maybe the printing company was a cheeky signature by the nefarious originator?
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

SteveInTampa, what a nice link. I agree totally that mine is counterfeit. I have looked at Heritage Auctions for other items. I could not believe how many of this type of note they have offered. norantyki, thank you also for your reply.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2654 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before there were National banknotes (1790-1865), many private banks issued their own paper money without US Government backing. Many of these notes become worthless when banks closed. Many of them were counterfeited and altered.

When the national bank system was created (1864) privately issued paper money was taxed to the point of being effectively
outlawed. Unlike US Government paper which has always remained legal tender, obsolete banknotes are now... obsolete. Their only value is the collectible value.

Obsolete notes are more affordable than national banknotes and more interesting, and with thousands of banks issuing them there are many more available. I have picked up 3 from the State Bank of NJ at New Brunswick as the notes were printed on both sides, many banks only printed the face. Here is an example of $1 dollar.

If you are interested in picking up some, I can vouch for Denly's.
https://www.denlys.com/inventory/state.asp?table=[Inventory%20-%20Obsoletes]

Edited by hfjacinto
10/23/2020 11:43 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 423Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05