Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does NGC Under Grade All Coins See Pictures

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,555Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a large scratch between the chin and the hair . I would guess thats what did it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morganman412 - Is this Scott?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1694 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not collect Morgan dollars so forgive me if I am off base, but am I the only one who sees a rim ding at 12:00? Or is it just the photo lighting?
I do collect Dollar size coins (Mexican and Spanish Colonial 8 reales) and rim dings always bring down the grade.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
2217 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not an attractive coin...fingerprint...scratches and all. Reasonably graded.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
962 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but am I the only one who sees a rim ding at 12:00?

I think it is a cud
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganman412 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some better pictures of the coin out of holder without a light and magnifying glass on it. That would make any coin unattractive

Thanks all
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the grade. It's not a very attractive piece, and it has fingerprint marks. Although I have an NGC MS-65 1881-S Morgan will slight fingerprint marks! Maybe the graders made those fingerprints; they don't wear gloves you know. Neither do the encapsulators!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1599 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, NGC gave it a technical MS-63 and drop-graded it a full point for eye appeal.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganman412 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its just a trip because it has no contact marks on the cheek, I have seen 65 ans 66 when the cheek is so clean. I guess they didnt like the toning or strike at all. I'm going to crack out and send to PCGS and see what happens. I just have to know if they do the same
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't buy raw Morgans anymore as you never know what you're getting. They can advertise a "Brilliant Uncirculated Morgan silver dollar" and when you get it it's as ugly as heck. Now I do have some very nice raw Morgans, but I only buy NGC MS-63+ now. I don't like PCGS; their holders are ugly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7792 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to crack out and send to PCGS and see what happens

Don't bother. Trust me. A lot of very experienced people agreed with the TPG chances are it grades the same
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say the reason is due to the scratches and what appears to be fingerprints on the cheek.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Loooks like the top rim is dinged also (?).
Pillar of the Community
United States
7298 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it might be undergraded a point. If you are keeping it, no worries. If you are selling it, a buyer will know it's a 62+. IMO, NGC grades more technically, and PCGS is more of a market grader.
CCF Advertiser
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like oil remnants from a fingerprint that has toned over. great coin nonetheless.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,555Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05