Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 D MM Filled -- Is This A Variety Caused By A Die Chip?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The coins is circulated and toned very blue, hence the color. I thought there might be an RPM Tilted or possible even South, but the perceived raised planchet may just be a die mark and not part of a polished mm? Thanks for your feedback.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36476 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a broken mint mark punch issue,common that year.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2565 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post photos of the whole coin. Front and back
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thank you for the historical reference--when it comes down to what is common for a specific year, is that just gained through experience and not a reference book.? Also, for future posts, is there an instance where you do not need to post a full obverse or reverse. I ask because this question was limited to the mint mark. Thank you!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36476 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One pic of the MM is good enough in this case even though it is a bit too close. As to historical reference,it is years of experience. Use the search box upper left of page for info on 1979 MM issues.
John1
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @John1...are there best practices for setting up a shot at close range, I need to ask Ray if I can zoom out, I am sure I can but will look into--thank you for the direction.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36476 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
are there best practices for setting up a shot at close range

It is different for each set up and I do not know your set up.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is common is a damaged mintmark punch that year on several denominations. The broken post issue is a die issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/24/2020 4:02 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05