Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987 Lincoln Memorial Cent PCGS Graded Error? "Ridge Ring"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 737Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2536 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  10:40 pm Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw this coin posted on Facebook. Do you think that PCGS should have called it an error?

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/28685187
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion no as this isn't even an error but die wear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4441 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a few of these in slabs, and it amazes me every time. This should not be considered an error. It's just a product of die wear. .

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  03:48 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I would ask: is this due to die wear, as I thought, or is this caused by a plating issue as PCGS suggests?
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36411 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to read what coop has to say on it, as well as what Mike has to say.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51997 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ridge ring, just die wear. Hard to believe someone would spend the money to slab this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47274 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Die Deterioration/Deformation Errors:
Severe Die Wear:
Design-Devouring Die Wear
http://www.error-ref.com/?s=ridge+ring

Here is what Mike calls it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I've always considered Die Deterioration a type of die damage and not a striking error or die error.

Great news , now we have to start collecting damaged die "varieties", since many can be produced, even as the damage progresses. No thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3041 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is ridiculous.

Not only is it just extremely common and worthless, it's not even a plating error like the say on the slab.

ALSO IT'S GRADED MS?!
Edited by Tanman2001
10/24/2020 2:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47274 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well they will slab a few and then stop listing these. (That is what happened on the 1969-D FS-901 listings) After someone slabs it, then sells off, and the buyer get stuck with a slab that is not a real collectable coin, the original seller is the only one who comes out ahead.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3041 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop The 1969 FS-901 was previously a CherryPickers' Guide variety, a large number of collectors regarded it as a collectible variety. It is understandable that PCGS would slab them up until it was removed from the book.

This ridge ring coin being slabbed by PCGS is unprecedented. PCGS should understand that this isn't really an error and no collectors believe otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This ridge ring coin being slabbed by PCGS is unprecedented. PCGS should understand that this isn't really an error and no collectors believe otherwise.

So true T-man and I agree with you. But.... technically, Error-ref does desrcibe it as an error in Coop's link, even though it really is die damage from Die Deterioration.

PCGS will only attribute CPG varieties but will evidently attribute trash "errors" if they can collect their fees.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3041 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know, still "technically" an error. But Die Deterioration is more of a die state, as some call it, as every die will eventually show some form of Die Deterioration at some point.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4260 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS seems to be calling this a plating error, not a ridge ring from Die Deterioration, based off the description of the error; "Minor Obv Plating Ridge"

I'm curious to see what it looks like in hand because based off that description there should be something the delineates it from a standard ridge ring.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20881 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 737Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05