Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 Lincoln Cent Possible Double Die Obverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 422Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Turbo82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm asking for any opinions,comments or suggestions to clarify if this 2001 Lincoln Cent looks to have Doubling on the obverse side. Doubling around the front of Lincoln's face,the word Liberty,the date and mint mark.Thanks

Edited by Turbo82
10/24/2020 01:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36524 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a DDO,but what it is called eludes me at the moment.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47462 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You looking way too close. The outlines are probably cause by die polishing that entered in that the face area. When the reduction of the fields happen, it will show as a raised area on the coins struck by that die. That is not what a doubled die is. This is just a die event that happened to the die that struck you coin. A doubled die has the doubling on the die from coin #1 struck by it. Also an issue with the hub process on these single squeeze dies alters the central devices more than others. The 2001-2003 devices on the cents those years had an appearance of wider devices. But because they all look like that none are considered a die variety as all are that way.
2001P-1DO-001 DDO:

So here are some side by sides as to what to look for on these:

Note the centers of the devices appear wider. The centers of the closed devices are smaller. Always look at the center area of the devices and not concentrate on the outside edges, as that is where Machine Doubling is found. Hope this helps.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Turbo82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So a Double Die is like the Lincoln's nose on the cent?

Edited by Turbo82
10/24/2020 10:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47462 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is only one example of nose doubling and that is on the biggest DDO:

But I'm not seeing any doubling on your coin. (My example was a Plain mintmark) But the spread will be seen on the centers of the devices.

The 1999-D DDO cents look like this SBS a normal image and Jim's coin which is a match to that die number:

Knowing where to look helps ID a matching doubled die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05