Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1614 Overijssel Lion Thaler And 1895 Cap & Ray Guadalajara 8 Reales

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 329Next Topic  
Valued Member
Spain
77 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got these in the mail today, have been wanting a Lion thaler for some time now but they don't show up in the auction-houses where I live too often. I could have wished for a better strike on this Lion thaler, but for the price I paid, I think I did OK.

Valued Member
Spain
77 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for the orientation of the photos, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but after using the image optimizer all the photos have the correct orientation. It's only after I upload them that they turn 90 degrees.
Valued Member
Netherlands
55 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Lion dollar is from Utrecht TRAIECTUM which is usually abbreviated as TRA. Overijssel is TRANSISSALANIA which is usually abbreviated as TRAN but also sometimes as TRA, which is confusing. The distinction can be made by the mint mark. The Utrecht mint mark is a shield with the Utrecht arms. This can be seen at the right of the helmet of the knight. Coins from Overijssel do not have this mark.
Valued Member
Netherlands
55 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photo of another Lion Dollar from Utrecht. Weight is 26.8 grammes and date 1647. The mint name is abbreviated as TRA although the bar on the A is not present. The shield of Utrecht can be seen clearly.

Although the quality of the specimen. shown is about EF, it even has some mint luster, it is not well struck. Clearly old dies with spots of rust have been used. Some of the letters are worn or have been repunched and the blank is not nicely round and of uneven thickness. This sloppy quality is found on nearly all lion dollars, not only those from Utrecht.
Valued Member
Netherlands
55 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photo
Valued Member
Spain
77 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for this information. It was marked as an Overijssel Lion thaler in the auction catalogue, but now that you point out the Utrecht shield, I can see it. Guess auction houses are fallible as well. The shield doesn't look quite as prominent on mine as in the example you linked, though. What would you say would be a fair price for mine?
Pillar of the Community
Austria
561 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  05:09 am  Show Profile   Check coinworldtv's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinworldtv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, especially the daalder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1528 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do note that the cap & ray is impaired by hairlines from cleaning.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05