Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Weirdest US Coin?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,156Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oriole... I love the quote "accumulates unused in millions of jars." If there are several million jars across the US, each 80-90% full of Lincoln cents, that's a lotta cents. Suppose it depends on what size jars we're considering.

Let's try this -- 20 million jars, with an average of 2000 cents in each. That comes to 40 billion coins. Search that. Cool.
Edited by ijn1944
10/27/2020 3:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
92287 Posts
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, but by today's standards, a half-cent is weird.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3827 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ijn1944, that is a plausible estimate, and it is scary to realize that the estimate is only 4-10 years of actual mintage!

I personally have about 10,000, and I live in Canada! Mind you these are all copper wheat and memorial cents.
Edited by oriole
10/27/2020 5:16 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13458 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the "weirdest" American coin is the Columbian Expo quarter, featuring Queen Isabella of Spain. I believe it's still the only US coin to depict a monarch. (the Hawaii coins don't count, as Hawaii was an independent country back then).
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7728 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Bridgeport, Connecticut half-dollar is pretty weird, with that strange Art-Deco eagle on one side and none other than P.T.Barnum on the other! Mind you, I'd love to have one in my collection!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3988 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Among the regular circulating issues it's 20 cents, hands down. No other serious contenders.

Quote:
Half a cent would still be worth a lot back then.

Yep. It bought more than a cent, nickel or dime does today. Good reason it lasted for 60 years, and good reason to abandon the one cent coin today.
Edited by tdziemia
10/27/2020 8:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oriole... I love the quote "accumulates unused in millions of jars." If there are several million jars across the US, each 80-90% full of Lincoln cents, that's a lotta cents. Suppose it depends on what size jars we're considering.

Let's try this -- 20 million jars, with an average of 2000 cents in each. That comes to 40 billion coins. Search that. Cool.

So... you're saying the US has more cents than sense?
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Um....Yikes! It's probably worth a zillion dollars but WOW.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3273 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the Bridgeport, Connecticut half-dollar is pretty weird, with that strange Art-Deco eagle on one side and none other than P.T.Barnum on the other! Mind you, I'd love to have one in my collection!

That weird eagle definitely caught my eye, but I didn't realize it was Barnum on the other side!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Possibly the ugliest coin design.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dieuwer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That coin is called "Crazed Liberty, Escaped from Asylum".
Pillar of the Community
United States
3442 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"a half-cent? Very weird"

Not when you remember that British Coinage, widely circulating in the Colonies at the time, had a half penny and a farthing.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3273 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of like the initial rigidly-decimal system that US coinage started out with. 10 mills = 1 cent, 10 cents = 1 dime, 10 dimes = 1 dollar ("or unit"), 10 dollars = 1 eagle.

(10 eagles = 1 union, but that one never made it outside of patterns. There was never an official term for 1/10 of a mill, on the account of it being an irrelevantly low denomination; my favorite unofficial term is "milray".)
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That coin is called "Crazed Liberty, Escaped from Asylum"

I'm calling it the Zombie Coin.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,156Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05