Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Opinion On 1878 Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 657Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If I were to send this 1878-S Morgan off to NGC, what grade do you think it would get? I'm leaning toward MS-60 or 61.

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry if the picture quality isn't great; it's the best my phone can do.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52064 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-62, perhaps 63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1406 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC would probably give this MS-62. I personally wouldn't send this in unless it had a shot at 64/65, but that's just me.
Edited by Ty2020b
10/28/2020 6:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell with particular details from being in the holder?
Appears white with luster and not to many distracting bag marks etc!..
Strike appears about normal for this BU coin.
I have one that looks very similar graded by Anacs MS63.
I'm with Coinfrog on this one
62 possibly 63 on this coin.

Is it worth sending in?...Why Not!
It's a nice example with decent eye appeal and it depends on what your budget will allow. I have a friend that's starting to collect Morgans in MS. His budget will only allow lower end of the MS Scale. There's a lot of Morgans that can be bought right between the MS62 and even the MS64 in raw state as well as slabbed. Pick you poison and go with your intuition.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not going to send in the coin, but this is definitely one of the crowning jewels of my collection. Keep a look out for more Morgan dollar posts! I've got plenty to show!
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing this coin with us and look forward seeing your others.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think 62
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VK sums this up pretty good for me as well!
No major gouges/scratches...
MS63 because it doesn't overstep the graders the pay grade...
smat
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen worse in MS-63 holders, mind you we're talking about key date Morgan's but still.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17597 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the sharpest strike, but the luster is mostly undisturbed.
I have to agree with the OP - nice eye appeal.
MS-63.

I notice the grading opinions are in a very narrow range so far, thus the average expressed here is likely to be quite reliable. That should save you a TPGrading fee.

Borderline case potential value to be TPGraded or not.
For lots of collectors, that potential value has to be above $100 to justify the grading and shipping fees.
A slab would provide no better protection than the capsule it is already in.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
62/63. I agree a really nice coin. Look forward to seeing additional coins from your collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be generous. MS63
Pillar of the Community
United States
9417 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reverse strike is a little weak for this year. particularly the eagle breast. the obverse is a little baggy and the luster appears to be broken. the appeal would be AVG- for this year. there are several surface abrasions on the reverse as well as rub areas. since this is a common date coin I would not be inclined to send it in as I dont think it would grade higher than 63. I also dont think the overall look of the coin would drop it to a 62 though.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of bag-marks on the cheek that are not visible in this photo. Seeing what you guys are saying and how the coin looks in person, I'd say it's MS-61. As I said, I decided not to send it off. I do notice that it does have a weak strike on the reverse though. It's hard to capture all the mint luster beauty in a amateur photo, but I can assure you it has great luster. I will be showing a 1900 Morgan with a needle-sharp strike very soon, so keep an eye out for that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 657Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05