Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

For Grading 1955 S LWC (Additional Photos Of Devices And MM)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 471Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
159 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  2:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please share the deductions, I have an idea, but want to understand if my logic is correct. Also, what is the focal point, and high points for the LWC for obverse and reverse?

Edited by shantiom
10/30/2020 12:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52226 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm wondering if these shots are picking up all the surface detail clearly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1472 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was a 65/6. Good EDS, with normal spacing. But then I saw the chater on the lapel and it went down to a 64. STill a nice coing though and a bit above average strike for that year and mm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2060 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Photos appear to be a bit oversaturated color-wise. A close-in, high resolution image of the mint mark might help us. Overall, I'm seeing a strong MS64. Important areas to consider are the integrity and sharpness of the wheat lines, any wear on obverse highpoints like the bow tie, Abe's cheek and jaw, and hair details--to name a few.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16696 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a few minor ticks. 64
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ijn1944 Followed your suggestion and snapped macrophotos of various devices. I need help before I get too optimistic. As the MM here is common in a few rolls I have, suggesting to me this was a MASTER HUB issue? Also, LIBERTY, does it have doubling? In addition, after I did some close up photos, there are dark patched on the year. The photo was overexposed, working with Ray to get a 50 mm and diffuser to help me out. Would value your options?

@coop how do we know if the vertical bars in the devices that look like threads, are doubling, or something else, what is that something else?

@Coinfrog, can there be Machine Doubling a DDO, is this possible in the photos on the devices of LIBERTY I am sharing?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9447 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are the high points for LWC where you will see wear first

these are the key areas. the red areas are the most prominent where any marks would affect the grade the most. the orange areas would have less impact and marks in the green areas would be the least impact

Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@panzaldi Very nice graphic and thank you for sharing. I trust if a search term like "nickel high points" etc, will provide legacy posts with such info. Alternatively, is there a quick post already from before accessible to those with interest?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47455 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintmark are is showing evidence of a damaged mintmark punch on the lower loop areas. It is seen on many dies even on the RPM listings they show, but that is not part of a RPM. But there is a mark on the upper serif that looks like it might be a part of a RPM or just a contact mark? The lower loop of the mintmark on the SE side is damage to that area.

But still is a great coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/31/2020 12:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3054 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This doubling on LIBERTY is a doubled master die for the 1955 cents. Not seeing any clear die polishing on these coins.

See here: http://www.error-ref.com/master-die-doubling/
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I love this place, the point counter point to reach some form of truth in a hobby dominated by subjective grading. Varieties appeals because there is a study and science to hypothesizing the root cause!

Is there a master list or can one be created that identifies the master die doubling for ? Can that be it's own sticky thread
? 1955 cannot be the only one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few others. I've never seen a definitive list but maybe someone knows of one? Wexler's site talks about doubled master dies here:

http://doubleddie.com/203801.html
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47455 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is master die doubling. Never knew this are was affected, but not all dies are affected. I checked earlier, and most I saw were not affected. So, I went with devices reduced. But I was not aware. So you learn more each day. I can edit the previous images with the correct information.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looked into a list, found data to create one, required some google dorking. Will have next week, stay tuned....LWC and LMC
Pillar of the Community
United States
9447 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
shantiom
Quote:
is there a quick post already from before accessible to those with interest?

to see the high points just search for "us coin high points" and select IMAGES

for the visual impairment severity that I posted I'm not sure where I got those. I copied them many years ago and did not note what site it came from.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 471Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05