Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1927 Memento Dollar, China. Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 153Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I bought this coin raw, and thought I got a pretty good deal. I sent it to NGC and they said not genuine, and they would give no reasons when I asked. I then sent it to ICG and they graded, it as you can see.

Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty good at detecting Chinese fakes (though I know I am not as good as NGC by a long shot). The coin is the right size, right weight, and nothing about it says fake to me. I believe NGC marked it as fake because another coin in the submission was an actual Chinese fake that they also caught. I didn't think that coin was fake, but NGC were completely right. It's fake and I messed up. With this Memento dollar, however, I think NGC was wrong. I think they were influenced by that other coin.

What does the CCF think? I want to try to get it into a better holder, so I'm considering resubmission to NGC, but I don't want to fail there and send it to ICG once again. Too much!

Thanks for the opinions,
N.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You got the coin in a holder at the company you submitted it to (ICG) but now you wanna crack it out and send it back to the company (NCG) that deemed it a counterfeit? They ( NGC) had their doubts as to authenticity and didn't feel comfortable certifying it as genuine. That probably won't change on a resubmission..

You are wasting money in my opinion. Live with it in its current holder.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hear you, westernsky.

Thanks for the opinion. My thought was that, if I ever want to sell it, I'll want it in a better holder. NGC did have trouble with it, but it is likely not the same people looking at it, and they can reach drastically different conclusions. I have one coin that I really like. I first sent it in and it received artificial toning. I didn't agree. I thought it was natural. I resubmitted and got an MS64 star grade. That's pretty drastic, both in the grade and the resultant value if I sold it.

Again, maybe it doesn't work much to strategize on submissions, but I feel that they got triggered by that one fake coin that I missed. I see no signs at all that this coin is fake, including, but not limited to, strike, weight, diameter, magnetism, rim, no weird raised lumps on surface anywhere, comparison with other known genuine coins. If that is the case, I want it in a better holder for future resale. But, your opinion is one route I have been considering.

Thanks,
N.

Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 153Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05