Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1852 3 Cent Silver - Is This A Clipped Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 425Next Topic  

United Kingdom
14 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Beware_Of_Doug to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hadn't looked at this coin in years and noticed it might be a clipped planchet error....or has it been dented. Looking from the side it is NOT thicker which might indicate being hit from the side.

Many thanks in advance for your opinion

My guess is it's a minor (very minor) clipped planchet but then again what do I know?

Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After first seeing the coin my first thought was damage but now I can't tell.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could win a "Who knows less?" contest against most challengers.My eye is drawn to the shallowness of the rim on the reverse at the missing section. The obverse rim shows a different treatment;little interior damage. It seems to me a clipped planchet would not show so much front to back discrepancy. My guess is abrasive wear back to front -- but what do I know?

Kevin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4975 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree that it's was a clipped planchet.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To damage to even see or make out a Blakesley effect.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52253 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clip looks legit to me. Is the coin also bent?

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47462 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse is upside down.

Check the weight to see if it is normal? Then you will know for sure if it is damage of a clipped planchet. (Normal is .80 Grams)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2549 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a clipped planchet to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3475 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen several like this on ebay over the last couple of years and I've never been able to make up my mind. So although 3CS are my series I haven't pulled the trigger so I haven't had them in hand.

These are better photos than the usual listing and I'm saying damage.

On the obverse the rim is pushed inside the natural circumference of the rim. Even if the upsetting mill raised the protorim the flat field of the die should have pushed it back out.

On the reverse, the missing part looks cut.

But I'll defer to any real expert's opinion.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17049 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the clip is real.
Gary Schmidt
United Kingdom
14 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beware_Of_Doug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin is not bent and look totally flat (i.e. no bugle near clip/defect). I am unable to weigh accurately as my scales don't go below 1 gram.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and comments....seems evenly split between clip and other damage
Pillar of the Community
United States
7415 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does have a look of a real clip, these older coins can be tricky to tell, especially the really small size doesn't help nor does the thinness. I too think it's a good clip. Worth a premium though? Not much if any.

I also don't know how much of the blakesley effect would even show on this little coin.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05