Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Tongs - Are They All The Same?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 534Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
814 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've bought mine from Lighthouse at coin shows when they come to my city. They are silver with red plasticky covering the tips. I am on my third pair in 5 years. Is that normal? What happens is the red plastic peels off and I am just left with bare metal. I am not dipping them in chemicals.

Are there better brands? Higher end models? Or devices that are not specific to coins that do the same job?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
814 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After almost two weeks and almost 100 views, I am surprised that no one has responded. Am I the only one using coin tongs anymore?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4779 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never used tongs - using my fingers to hold raw coins/medals by the edge has always worked for me!

When you first posted this, I did spend some time searching for alternatives but forgot to post about what I found. I noticed that Lighthouse offers a more premium version of coin tongs vs. the ones you have used. Maybe they will be what you want?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3181 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i also have never used tongs, ever..
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember getting a "coin collecting kit" as a present when I was a kid. It came with tongs and I recall I did not like using them; it felt like I was doing less with more. Just my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
814 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the feedback. I might try a set from Canada Post. They sell a few stamp and coin supplies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7406 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't even think of what I'd use them for beyond removing them from a tub of acetone they might be soaking in, usually I just our it out into another tub and use either nitrile gloves or wait until the acetone is evaporated to remove them. I do have some plastic/rubber tipped tweezers but I was always afraid they would melt in contact with acetone. I've only seen European collectors use coin tongs, and I still don't even understand why. I can barely even use gloves nitrile or cotton to pick up a coin, so I don't 99.999% of the time, just use clean washed hands and only by the edge (rim).

I suppose if you really wanted them cheap then make your own out of some paint stir sticks about .25 cents at a paint store, then a small tube of junk (whatever not critical and a rubber band) make it like a practice chopstick set. You can even buy them cheap at some food shops or online. Look up "Practice Chopsticks"
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
11/11/2020 9:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17589 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For pristine proof coins, rubber gloves are OK.
Probably a little more secure, so as to lessen the possibility of accidently dropping them, and bruising the rims.

So long as your fingers are clean, you can gently handle ancient coins any way you like - the patina will protect them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9423 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a pair I use for retrieving coins from an acetone bath on occasion. I don't know if these ever made it to the public but a friend of mine who owned a tool shop built a mold and molded a few of these from talc filled polypropylene for the living hinge. I've had them for about 25 years now...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4965 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use my fingers and lintless cotton gloves.
Lintless cotton gloves can be washed and reused.

I don't like latex gloves because my hands sweat.
But if you DO use latex gloves, make sure they are powder-free.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19834 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too never used them. However if it's the tip that wears of just comes off, why not go to a hobby type place and see if they have liquid plastic. Then just add your own plastic to the tips. Some electrical pliers come with rubbery material all over them. You might try an electrical supply place too.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14292 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For larger size coins I like a little extra holding power .

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a friend of mine who owned a tool shop built a mold and molded a few of these from talc filled polypropylene for the living hinge.
That is really cool! I am fascinated by the design.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 534Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05