Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Pair Of Medieval Brabant Pick Ups, Jean III 1312-55

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 309Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3973 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The coinage of Duke John/Jean III of Brabant (1312-1355) is mostly characterized by permutations of rampant lions with shields and polylobes, like those of his father and predecessor, John II. But his reign is also characterized by a few new types: the copies of contemporary English pennies bearing a crowned portrait of the monarch (we have a thread on these types somewhere), the first gold coin of Brabant, which not surprisingly imitated the true florin (starting 1330), and the first large gold ecu or "chaise d'or" minted in 1338.
Also, meticulous mint records were kept, which survived into modern times, and allowed 19th century numismatists to determine the minting dates of many of these undated issues.
I recently picked up two new types for my collection, bringing me to eight for this ruler. Neither is perfect, but given their age, the cost of more perfect examples gets pretty high.
First, a demi-gros (half groat), W.348, which can be dated to 1343:

Next, a "gros (groat) au quadrilobe" W.344 which can be dated to 1344:

Pillar of the Community
United States
5312 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Neither is perfect

Perhaps not perfect, but darn impressive looking nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
475 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two great pick ups, tdziemia!
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! You are starting to stir up my medieval European interests again..
Learn More...
United States
23325 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love these medieval type coins. Thanks for posting them.
Learn More...
United States
17676 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Medieval dated gold is the best. These are super pick-ups for your collection!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3973 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Medieval dated gold is the best

I think I caused some confusion when I recounted the monetary innovations of this duke, but then posted two of his silver coins . For some reason, the quality of light yesterday made my photos come out with a slight yellowish tint.

In any event, I also have an example of the gold ecu minted by this duke which I mentioned, and which can be dated to 1338. Purchased from Elsen in 2001, I probably could not afford to buy one now.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
475 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
17676 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops yes that is a mistake on my part.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1491 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05