Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 Newfie 5c Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 828Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  9:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. Would you kindly grade the following, please (sorry, no reverse photos)? I'm not sure it looks VF. Thanks.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ATYA.../s-l1600.jpg

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3,654 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is certainly genuine and well known in Canada .
The grading on the coin is typical , PCGS does not know how to grade
Circulated coins to Canadian standards .
Fine details by current standards in my opinion .
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Yes, I've purchased from him before.

I get the fine part, but why the details?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3,654 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  12:12 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the overall coin ..... pretty rough !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53,643 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS uses the Sheldon system, and I think VF-25 sounds about right.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/15/2020 09:30 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3,654 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We use the Sheldon system in Canada as well .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53,643 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you don't mean " PCGS does not how to grade circulated coins to Canadian standards," but rather they don't know how to grade circulated coins to YOUR standards?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3,654 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I mean exactly what I said .
Canadian Standards , British Standards , European standards and Australian standards are FAR
different than PCGS standards when it comes to grading foreign coins .
No advanced Canadian Collector or dealer would pay VF money for the OP
questioned coin . Canadian TRENDS and Charlton clearly state that pricing is
for Coins graded to ICCS or CCCS standards which are quite different from PCGS
standards , way more Conservative .
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's some nice detail in the eye and the braid but the hair is fairly worn. I would say F15 or VF20. Also, I would ask for a picture of the reverse as this side is often quite weak on the 1870.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, yes I am waiting for that reverse photo since yesterday.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Pacificoin, another overgraded PCGS example. F + details.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, I guess I'll pass this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse photo here now if anyone is interested:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2lcA.../s-l1600.jpg
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, but its a stretch past F-15, despite the lovely looking Reverse.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm - that takes it up a notch in my view. If you look around on eBay you'll see that quite a few of the 1870 5c have pretty crummy reverse sides including one that is currently listed for more than $2,000. I think the grade has to stand at F15 (or VF20 on a good day). And sure, that has implications for the Charlton-approved price. But I would be tempted by that one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 828Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05