Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Money Envelopes - Need Some Help From Community

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 956Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  10:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello community members,

I am reaching out to get some help on money envelopes. These are the envelopes that you get from tellers when you withdraw cash. While I am mostly looking for information on money envelopes of financial institutions other similar ones would be welcome

I am doing a study of them and would appreciate if you are able to share images of such envelopes.

For starters here is an image of the current CIBC money envelope. It is from Greater Toronto Area and mentions Pearson Airport.

What type of envelope does CIBC give out in your region?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember getting paid in cash using these envelopes back in the sixties.
Here's one from the RBC.

Cheers, Bill

Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's one from the RBC.

@Bill - Much appreciated. So very kind of you.

If you ever were think of throwing that envelope please consider having me take it over from you if possible.

Thx

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3951 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this is a novel collecting topic! I have seen a few of those pay envelopes but they were used and abused. I will see if any are still around.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8244 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking too.
I have some from the '60s I found a couple of months back.
If only I could remember where I put them.
Pay envelopes were common back then, checks from most small businesses were held for at least a week often two, unless you worked for a large corporation or the government cash on payday was the norm.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4654 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently the BOC gave or exchanged the Viola notes with a real cool looking envelope
Pillar of the Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paisa here's another RBC one, as you can see they have moved to a much simpler envelope.
The first one I posted I believe is from 2008 and this one is from 2019.
I'll be getting another today and we'll see what they're using presently.

Cheers's Bill

Pillar of the Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one from the TD bank, not sure about the date for this one as I really can't remember the last time I was at an TD bank but it's been several years.

Cheers, Bill

Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, this is a novel collecting topic! I have seen a few of those pay envelopes but they were used and abused. I will see if any are still around.

@Oriole - My interest in this is to study and write about the design elements of these envelopes and the messages. I have some interesting observations from the last 10 years that I will be happy to share through article/s and/or on this forum.

So even if anyone comes across something that is abused/tattered/torn/ please do share the photos of both sides if you can. It will be very much appreciated.

Focus is Canadian/Financial Institutions and related. Regular and special (Chinese New Year). Other country financial institutions are also welcome.

Thank you
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Recently the BOC gave or exchanged the Viola notes with a real cool looking envelope

Yes I was able to get that and also the one for $10 commemorative note.
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm looking too.
I have some from the '60s I found a couple of months back.
If only I could remember where I put them.
Pay envelopes were common back then, checks from most small businesses were held for at least a week often two, unless you worked for a large corporation or the government cash on payday was the norm.

@DBM - If you can find and share the photos of those from 60's that would be awesome.

It is interesting that people remember using these envelopes to fill out the information on them. RBC and many other banks had these things printed on their envelope as late as 2015. Whenever I asked the tellers the meaning of those things no one knew about it.

If anyone has interesting anecdotes to share about using these envelopes please do so.
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many of these envelopes have date indicators on them. For instance the three shared by Bill

TD - see the number on the back flap 51529 (1104) it is most likely November 2004 based on the convention used in the current TD envelopes.

RBC - New - see number on the back flap 06632(07/2019) - July 2019

RBC - Vancouver Olympics - number on the back flap - Form 06632 (10-2008) - November 2008.

The CIBC that I shared - number on the back flap - E2211BIL - 2017/03 - March 2013.

Edited by Paisa
11/27/2020 11:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1171 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anyone has interesting anecdotes to share about using these envelopes please do so.

I remember my grandfather used to keep these stuffed with banknotes. They were more yellow & had "Earnings; Deductions, etc" & chart-like text on them as "HoundogBill" posted. He would pull one out and extract a few 1954 Twos or Fives(& whatever he needed) to pay my older brother for cutting his large lawn (he lived on a farm). That was when I was about 12 (& they were introducing Multicoloured series), and I must say that I envied my 16 y.o. brother who cut his lawn & this was before I started to collect currency. I remember really liking the newer $20 $10 $5 & the $2 and $1 were just being introduced. [He also gave my brother an empty Players tobacco can filled with pennies, nickles, dimes & quarters (to pay him) & that's how my brother started to collect coins. I was a rather competitive sort so when I saw my brother collect coins, I had to start too].

Anyway, I gave up with the coins & started to collect banknotes during my first job at a carwash. I wanted to use the same envelopes pictured but found that these small brown side-opening packets were usually too small (& could damage the ends of the notes) so I always requested white envelopes. When I look back I think its funny that I tried to use those but I guess it was a bank envelope & made sense at the time. Over time, I rarely used them & threw most of them away (after seeing how much I damaged the ends of good UNC banknotes rendering them AU).

About 10 years ago I met a senior who wanted to sell me some of her husband's banknote collection. I suggested she go sell them to a dealer but she was adamant I buy them from her. I was secretly thrilled b/c she told me that she met her husband at the bank & that he was the branch manager. My enthusiasm was quickly extinguished the moment I saw her pull out one of those darn small yellow envelopes since I knew that they usually caused more harm than good (they were too small to preserve banknotes). While looking over the contents I was surprised that he had kept a consecutive run of 1937 Ones (Coyne-Towers). I sold "DBM" one through CCF. I paid her too much for the notes because I didn't see the tiny spot of glue that migrated to the back ends of several of the banknotes (so the majority were AU). If I find that offending packet I will scan it & send it to you (but its more likely I threw it out).

So, if you use these small side-opening envelopes to store banknotes then be careful you're not damaging the notes. Generally, they're too small (probably formatted for US currency). I much prefer the blue CIBC "penguin" top-loading envelopes & got my wife to get me a few of those or just large white envelopes from TD.

BTW: I have one of the brown ones left from TD with the code 515291 (0216) on that back of the flap. LMK, if you'd like me to scan it.
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@walk2dwater - Great story. Thank you.

It is interesting you have picked up on the top short side loading (TD/RBC) vs long side (CIBC/ BMO) flapped envelopes.

Sometimes around RBC had a revamp of their envelopes and increased the size noticeably. TD changed their envelope design - they are all white now and no longer brown/yellow. TD also nominally increased their size in moving to the white envelopes. The older sizes for both TD and RBC did not accommodate US Dollars but new sizes can.

TD also has a larger money envelope at their foreign exchange counters for foreign currencies.

Quote:
BTW: I have one of the brown ones left from TD with the code 515291 (0216) on that back of the flap. LMK, if you'd like me to scan it.

Thank you for checking and offer to scan. If that is the one whose front says "Taking a trip" then no need to scan it. If the front is something different then scanning and sharing would be appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1171 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If that is the one whose front says "Taking a trip" then no need to scan it.

- yup, that's the one.

I also have the far superior (larger/less problematic) foreign currency envelope. If I find that old one (that damaged the 37's) I'll scan it for you. Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8244 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Won this item on eBay last night.

Although not a bank envelope I think it's appropriate to post here.

This was one of those items I just had to acquire. Fortunately I was the only bidder and got it for a fraction of my limit.

In the summer of '67 I lived in Edmonton two blocks from the location on the envelope.
I bought gas every Friday at that corner but I don't remember Excel and certainly not this promotion.
I'll have to do some research on this.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
11/30/2020 7:36 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 956Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05