Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Coin Hologram Issue

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 661Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  8:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
does any one here know the strike counts. who would ever think that. the mint would put that much plastic on circulation coins. then hide the fact with a hologram. this is unbelievable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
902 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
? I can't figure out what you are asking. There have never been any circulated hologram coins so I guess the strike count would be ZERO. Are you talking about painted coins?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
atticguy they are in circulation coins. I have not opened any of my 2020 rolls. I pulled these coins out of circulation rolls.
atticguy do you use a scope lens. if you do, you can find these coins very easily. I found them in the quarters first. once you side the coin under that lens. remember the lens has to be high resolution glass. you will be able to see the different. I can not find any doubling on these plastic strikes yet. the coins are plastic reverse and obverse. the Nickle part of the coin is quite thin. these look like they are pressed on to the Nickle blank. good luck hope you find a couple
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2459 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures?

Denominations?

Weights?

Plastic circulation coins with holograms?

I'm also confused...
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Edited by Wade
11/19/2020 9:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
779 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
why don't you share a link or a few pictures of what you are talking about? it sounds interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17604 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to Google Images (one of my favorite 'go to's)
"Canadian hologram coins issued into circulation"

I only found a few examples of fine silver NCLT coins with hologram but
I did find many examples of base metal color pad printed coins that have been issued into circulation.

I suspect that the hologram may be way too delicate to stand up to the rigors of circulation.

Post a picture of a hologram coin that that has been issued into circulation if they exist; you have attracted my curiousity.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok here some time ago okiecoiner explained. that there was a silver proof die used during the 1960. well here is what one of those coins look like. that was struck by a silver proof die from the 1960s. this is a copper penny. the die leave a very fine silver film on the surface of the coin., here is what that looks like. check this picture

ok and I can tell you all. that the mint has made some mistakes. some of there regular coins have been mixed in with the holograms coin. I have found some regular coins with the black strips pressed into the regular coins. so if you see these dont discard them. they look like junk but look closely. you will see the little bumps they are attaching. the holograms and plastic to on the surface of the coin. the plastic is quite thick. I think they maybe injecting this plastic through the die. I know once we are all at these coins. the forum members will figure this out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
something for you all to know. the hologram coins are in the quarters, dimes and Nickle coins. I have not broken any of my 50 cent rolls. I will I have to do this quick. my eye sight is going. what a darn time for this to happen. you all have a great one keep up the good work.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8179 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you all have a great one
I'll have one of whatever you're having please.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
11/21/2020 8:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM thank you for your help. I hope I will be back. anyway keep up the good work you all take care. this is my last post its getting to hard.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry one more reply. I have these silver coated pennies from 1962 to 1967. I have about 15 of each denomination. so long, so if you want to know how far. they go back that is all I could find 62 to 67 good lucky hope you guys find some have a great one
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3247 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rocky ... I can't even spell "proof" consistently and wouldn't know a proof from a dryer coin. I never said anything at any time about proof coins/dies in the 60's. You must have me mixed up with someone else. As the others have said, I really don't understand what you are talking about with plastic, holograms, black strips or silver-coated pennies.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner sorry maybe it was another member. I got a pair of very dark tinned glasses on. there was a discussion about dies. some one talked about this proof die. they explained how it was used in the 1960s . well when I got to assembling this high resolution glass. I put a 1967 prooflike set under my glass. when I looked at the coin. I was surprised to see this silver. what it does it puts a layer of silver on outer surface of the copper pennies. I think this is how. they are getting the nickle layer. applied to the surface of these coins. that are mostly plastic. but the hologram coins are easy to find. I can see right through the layer of nickle. if the nickle layer was not there the coins would be simply ugly. you should see them. you will see them you have a great one thank you okiecoiner for all your help please keep up the good work so long. all you guys got to do is keep checking. once they fix my eyes. I will be back and post some pictures. I will also check my fifty cent rolls. if there is some in there . I will post a picture of it as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
711 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its clear as mud to me. I'm completely lost.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
779 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good luck and speedy recovery for your eyes Rocky. you have a good one too.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 661Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05