Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Coin Collectors - How Specialized Are You?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 30 / Views: 1,357Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  7:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I'm interested in getting a rough approximation of interest in specific areas of Canadian coins. If I've left something out please feel free to let me know....

Poll Choices
  Canadian coins (1858 - )
  All maritime
  Newfoundland (1865-1947)
  Martime tokens
  pre-confederation Canadian coins and tokens
  RCM commemoratives
 pennies
 silver
  errors and varieties.
  2 -8 of the above
  all of the above.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3255 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm almost exclusively Vicky large cents, but also most 19th century stuff.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
720 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian & Morgan silver dollars

At my age, I need the largest font possible, that's why 1, 5 & 10 cent coins don't interest me....
Learn More...
Canada
9377 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian small cents and nickel dollars; all strikes, errors and varieties,

I also collect Nova Scotia Trade dollars, milk tokens and exonumia. Plus, I have a couple "thematic" collections...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9156 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have Canadian Colonial Tokens, Pre Confederation, Large and small cents up to 2012. I have what I consider a pretty complete 5 cent collection (about 225 different ones). A few pages of different date Silver Dollars and some modern multi dollar proof silver.
I think I am a dummy for the 5 cents collection. I'll never get my money out of it but I guess that reassures me that I am a coin collector. I can't stop now.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
907 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted with the "2-8" group, which covered my collection of 1858-current cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars, and twonies. Also, I also collect all the RCM commemorative cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, and silver dollars; as long as they fit into 2x2's (the 'big' coins and 5oz silvers don't count).
I also save ALL specimen coins from 1967-to-current, and ALL proof coins from 1981-to-current on all coins from 1c to $2 denominations.
Anything else (tokens, errors, Newf's) I avoid, as I think what I'm already buying is already too much. I did, however, pick up two complete sets of Prince Edward Island cents!
Add these Canadian coins with my USA sets and I've got plenty to keep me busy (and broke).
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17626 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australian based (Sydney)
I am a typesetter from waaaaay back - for Canadian up to 1967. I have amongst others: 1914 $10 gold.
I still use my 1970 edn of Charlton !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8183 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In more than 55 years of collecting I've tried some of everything except NCLT.
The only constant has been 25 cents.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1095 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going for a full set of Canadian coins. 1858+ and starting NS/NB/PEI, maybe will start on NF.

Only 31 coins to go for Canada, will be about a 1000 coin set (includes some varieties), but it is starting to get more expensive the closer I get. I will probably never complete due to 1921's and not really interested in the 1948 SD, but who knows.
Edited by purelywasted
11/19/2020 10:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1517 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada large cents-small cents-5 cents-10 cents
NFL-NB-etc copper and smalls- some tokens
mainly pre 1920
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Valued Member
Canada
197 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to have a penchant for small 5 cents and large 1 cent coins, and some silver dollars from when I was young.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
569 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as coins go, I only collect Newfoundland (excluding the gold ones, which are just way too pricey for me).

I do have a small collection of Newfoundland postcards (posted) displaying various icebergs, but it's rare to find them. I haven't added to that collection in years.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dglheadspace to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically I am focused on pre-68 CDN coinage with a sub focus in Proof Like and Specimen coins.
Valued Member
Canada
79 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Started out with Large Cents, as I'm sure many do, but once I got bit by the Colonial Token bug it was over!

Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Blargish - I'm just starting to get into those - they're fascinating! So much character. Though they're a little harder to grade and my expertise in copper and bronze is even more limited than it is in silver where I do most of my collecting.

I'm still 95% immersed in NFLD silver - mostly focused on the key dates. I make occasional off-the-wall purchases....things that catch my fancy for whatever reason. I bought an 1839 Isle of Man 1 penny a few weeks ago...just liked it.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
815 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small cents, nickels 1922 on, dimes and quarters 1937 on, fifty cents 1906 on but still missing 1932 and the 1921 for some reason. Silver dollars and the $1 and $2 coins.

I only have two year sets and maybe three or four "fun" silver coins from the mint.
Page: of 2 Replies: 30 / Views: 1,357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05