Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Got A Couple ?'s About This 1967 LMC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 193Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
230 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  8:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jsertl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
first off whats up with the marks below the upper portion of the "9" in the date? is that just from vibrations while in the press? 2nd question...what are the lumps to the left of the "T&Y" in Liberty as well as the one just below his chin in front of his throat & I think theres another larger one to the right of Liberty against Abe,s backside.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your first question, to the upper part of the 9 in the date, those are contact marks from taking a hit, post mint. Not certain about seeing "lumps" to the left of TY, but on Abe's throat can be seen some Machine Doubling. Contact marks can be seen in LIBERTY as well as the date.

FYI, coins are not "pressed," they are struck, punched by a die into a blank phanchet in the minting process. "Pressed" makes it sound like a printing press, which it is not.

ša va bien aller
Edited by merclover
11/21/2020 12:27 am
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jsertl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just to be clear I'mátalking about these marks circled in red. not sure what you thought I was talking about. thats not just some random hit its a 4epeating pattern that gradually fades out.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47344 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well above the '9' it may have been affected with a struck through debris issue. Not the squareness on that area. The area that you circled, could be a king-on of metal from the struck through debris. No premium fot that though. On the fields of the date area, the lines are a die flow issue from an aging die. The mark on the neck area was a enhancement that appears after 1963/4 from an engraving done on the die. So what does that mean? That all the dies have some carry over of this adjustment that will show on some die state and get polished on as polishing happen to remove die clashes as the die continues to age. Note how the devices are joining to the rim? That is because the master die was swelling for many year. In 1968 it was even worse. So in 1969 they created a new master hub to replace the swelling outward the hub from creating the many master dies though the years.

Note how wide the bust and devices are on the 1968 cent, compared with the fresh new master hub created. Because they created the new master hub on the next year, they avoided the issue of large and small dates. In 1982, they changed the master hub during the year, creating the large and small dates that year. Hope this helps.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jsertl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
right on thnx
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 193Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05