Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896 Morgan Silver Dollar For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 269Next Topic  

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  9:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tink to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please review pictures for grading. There are close ups of obverse and reverse and then another set to give a better example of true color. True color photos are not at best angle due to lightning issues. I apologize.

Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncirculated details cleaned is my guess, based on the loss of luster in the fields.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4966 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm all for AU+ but I'm of the opinion it's been cleaned.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52071 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking AU-55, unclear if cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9475 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU+ and possible cleaned. Look at the stars (7:00 to 8:00) in the first obverse image, they tell a tale and it's not a good one imo.
ANA #R3154474
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tink to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your input. I'm not sure if it's been cleaned. My dad gave it to my daughter over twenty years ago and it was encased then. My dad has always collected coins and I inherited part of his collection and can attest to him not cleaning any of his coins. I can't verify if the seller of the coin cleaned it or not. You all are such a great help!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say AU-58, possibly cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1410 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joining the group at AU55/58, possibly cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
same here AU Details I think
Valued Member
Australia
306 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its been polished.
UNC details.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17599 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightly cleaned.
AU-55, no luster on the cheek, but some left in the fields.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9417 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first thought was AU details, cleaned

first the 96(P) should be sharp and bold. even though the cheek is fairly clean the high points of the hair and the eagle breast are the best indicator the coin was circulated. the coin appears flat and lifeless. probably polished
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tink to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the information
Pillar of the Community
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree AU Details, cleaned or altered surfaces.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05