Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 D Lincoln Wheat Cents - 2 Altered Date 1944 D Counterfeits

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 225Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  11:47 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are pretty easy to spot based on the distance between the 9 and the 1 of the date, but a couple examples to show what these counterfeits look like.

1914-D Lincoln wheat cents- altered date 1944-D counterfeits

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. It's a couple of 19.........14-D cents!
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
2178 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice try. What will you do with them now?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  01:47 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They just go into my counterfeit collection. Something like 450 coins in there now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2325 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  02:18 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one on the left would've been a tad convincing if not for the large gap in the date. The one on the right just looks terribly off.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Learn More...
United States
29435 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one on the left still appears to have the VDB designer's initials on the shoulder, not present on genuine 1914 coins.
Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52038 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great one-look examples, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of these counterfeits have the VDB initials there. The genuine 1914-Ds don't have the VDB. The initials weren't re-added to LWCs until 1918.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tropicalbats,
Thank you for posting specimens from your counterfeit collection. Even on the ones I might have spotted on my own, I like to review your "authenticated" counterfeits. I appreciate these posts.

I ran across one of these altered date types in a partial Lincoln cent collection that I had considered bidding on a couple months ago. I asked for better photos of the 1914-D from the auction company, and even my rather ignorant self became suspicious because of the spacing between the two middle digits. But, the forger did try to hide their work in a rather ham handed way: they had polished it down to a low grade, practically obliterating the 19 in the process, and added some dark grunge in the low spots of the coin to possibly mask the VDB. Sadly, the bids on that set went high enough to indicate that at least two other folks were fooled. So, while your two coins might be "one look fakes" to some, there are others who really need to see what you post! Please keep sharing!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05