Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Or Real 1837 Seated Liberty Half Dime?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 428Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  09:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin doesn't look real to me.

1) The "B" in "LIBERTY" looks more like a "N" to me and the "I" and "N" are almost merging.
2) The font of the date looks funny to me (too rounded).
3) Don't see much wrong with the reverse.

Edited by NumisEd
11/25/2020 09:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2638 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing wrong with it. The B probably took a hit to make it look odd. The date is supposed to be rounded. Check out some graded examples on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1772 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fine to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53521 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, circulation damage.
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, good to know I was off. Since it is real, what grade should it get? VF30 perhaps?
But if I compare it with this one...

https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...e-PCGS-XF-45

...the font of the date looks definitely different on the PCGS graded XF45.

Which of the two you think looks better for its grade?
Edited by NumisEd
11/25/2020 10:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2638 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:10 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The example you are comparing to us a small date. The coin that you posted is a large date.

EDIT: see my retraction below.
Edited by BigSilver
11/25/2020 11:43 am
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The example you are comparing to us a small date. The coin that you posted is a large date.

OK. I didn't notice that.
What grade do you give the coin I posted?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1736 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP coin looks like a small date to me.....

Looks legitimate to me as well, just seen some circulation

Edit: grade wise, VF-30/35 sounds right to me.
Edited by Ty2020b
11/25/2020 11:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2638 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The OP coin looks like a small date to me

You are absolutely right. I stand corrected.
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very respectable first year example.
VF30 for me.
smat
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a slightly sharper pic of the obverse. Overall the coin looks better than the photographs and very appealing to me. Definitely pleased with it.

Edited by NumisEd
12/03/2020 7:41 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21767 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2020  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 details, environmental damage.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it very attractive with a beautiful cameo effect. XF40. I couldn't hazard a guess on details without seeing in hand. It might straight grade.
In any event, you have an attractive example of a tough date which is always a good thing.
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it very attractive with a beautiful cameo effect. XF40. I couldn't hazard a guess on details without seeing in hand. It might straight grade.

Here is one final attempt of mine to photograph to obverse and reverse of this coin.

Regardless of the possible details grade it might receive, I like the coin because it is exactly what I am looking for in a (half) dime: a dark field and a strong circulation cameo effect.
Edited by NumisEd
12/12/2020 2:02 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05