Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ways To Store/Display Both 2x2 Holders And Slabs Together

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 336Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  5:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks. I have a number of my Mercury dimes in Capital Plastics 2x2 holders (black with black screw posts) and I also have a few TPG slabs. I currently have these in a 2x2 box, but I have to lay the slabs down at the end of the box and this doesn't seem like the best approach.

Do you have suggestions for storing both of these kinds of holders together? Is there a different sized box I need (or something else)? Thanks!
My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
2,501 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
after market hard slabs similar in size to the TPG ones
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Learn More...
United States
94,433 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
after market hard slabs similar in size to the TPG ones
I agree.

Lighthouse makes a holder that is the same size as NGC. I think there is one that matches PCGS dimensions, but I would to have to look for it again.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks fellas, but right now I'm not looking to move what I currently have in the capital plastics holders. I actually like those holders very much, and even sought out black Chicago screws to match the black holders. What I'm asking is if anyone knows of a storage box that can accommodate both certified slabs and the capital plastics 2x2 holders. It seems perhaps not. Thanks for your thoughts though, something to consider at least.
My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5,048 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@one_fine_dime: It wouldn't be cheap, but you could use a combination of Lighthouse coin trays/boxes and a Lighthouse case to house your collection. Lighthouse makes trays to hold multiple slabs and trays to hold 2x2s.

I use them for my Canadian silver dollar collection and like them very much.

Here's a link to the Lighthouse web site so you can learn more bout them:

https://www.lighthouse.us/collect-c...accessories/

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems. I think that is definitely an elegant way to display coins, but likely more than I'm looking for right now. I think I could get a box like this (see link below) designed for slabs that could likely accommodate 2x2 holders as well. The PCGS slab I have is around 2.5 inches wide. So the 2x2s could just sit at one end of the box and the slabs at the other. I'm so slow at growing my collection right now, and only have a few slabs so far, but from what I see of problem coins on ebay, I'm guessing I'll likely be purchasing at least a few more certified specimens in the future.

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/pr...-slab-boxes/
Learn More...
United States
94,433 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5,048 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it! My only suggestion is to spend the extra dollar or two for the heavy duty version of the box that interests you. It will hold up better over time and last longer.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is a good album to put pennies in? The cardboard ones look cheap. How else can I protect coins from humidity and such? A good album to put the coins in is really what I'm looking for. I do use the cardboard squares 22 and put the coins in the red box.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05