Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Happened To This Massachusetts Quarter Proof?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 787Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  9:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI all

SO I scored my second proof coin, the Massachusetts State Quarter (since I live there). I got it so cheap, I felt bad about it.

Now, it is really nice BUT there seems to be something wrong with it...

The edge/lip is nice and silver, BUT the front and back have an overall tan-brown hue! While it isn't exactly ugly, it isn't exactly what I expected, either.

From what I have learned and seen on the forum about toning, this seems too uniform and even. It reminds me of something masked then clear-coated, and the clear yellowed with age.

I did look at the NGC website and they state that their slabs are NOT air/water tight.

What is going on here? Is this indeed toning? If so, why would it not effect the edge/lip? How can it occur so evenly? Is it a good thing I didn't pay much for it because if this?

Befuddled...

(please excuse the photos, I had a hard time with them)

Edited by Nells250
11/25/2020 9:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's either toning or brown reflection from the table it's sitting on.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37248 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like just toning. I would like to see a photo with a (18% gray scale) gray background and the label covered.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5399 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beautiful toning .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2408 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be toning--not that uncommon with clad proofs. Addressing the white balance issue might remove a smidge of the warm tone, but I believe the toning is there nonetheless.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... or brown reflection from the table it's sitting on.
Soooo... I guess my EYES are also effected by the table?

I need to try and take a pic when (if) the SUN comes out today, without any flash or artificial lighting.

BUT so far it IS toning, and NOT unusual? I assumed slabs were indeed air-tight!

This toning phenomena is nutty...

EDIT: I actually DID correct the white balance a bit as the original photos were too blue. Again, I will try again when natural lighting is better.
Edited by Nells250
11/26/2020 11:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Soooo... I guess my EYES are also effected by the table?

No but if your eyes are brown, there's your answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning can occur while in the proof set holder, it's not completely airtight.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17170 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BUT so far it IS toning, and NOT unusual? I assumed slabs were indeed air-tight!

Slabs are NOT completely airtight, and the coin could have already been toned when it was slabbed.

Personally I think it looks very nice. The toning is even and not splotchy,and not overwhelming. It just adds a bit of color to the coin.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MOS0239 - (rimshot) ;-)

The sun still isn't out today so I probably still can't get a better photo.

I did look around The 'Bay yesterday after turkey and there are indeed many proof quarters that seem to have at least similar toning, but this one is so darn even!

I wonder... is there anything in the NGC code that can help with figuring out roughly when a coin is graded? That would (maybe) help with what Conder101 said, that maybe it was already toned when slabbed.

EDIT: https://www.NGCcoin.com/certlookup/4304196-046/69/
Is it me, or does it almost look toned in their reference images? Did that hologram decal even exist in 2000?
Edited by Nells250
11/27/2020 3:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17170 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look toned in the NGC image, and no that hologram was not in use in 2000, but the coin could have been slabbed long after 2000.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my 1999, 2000 2001 silver proof sets all toned in a manner like this, I assume the other sets will follow as well. the mirrored fields will tone different from the frosted devices (including the rim edge which is frosted too).

And it's toned on NGC look up, you can see it on the left of the state although they didn't highlight the toning and took a dark picture instead.
so it was like that when they slabbed it. it doesn't hurt anything at all. mine started as a slight milky haze you could see tilting in light, and developed to a yellowish/brown which will develop further colors as time progresses and allowed to continue, this stage is one of the ugliest really and where people back out of toning and dip them.

people sleep through this usually and come back in a decade or so more and look again or find them toned up further along than this, this is early still and only year 20 :)
up to you, dipping would remove it, you could stop it where it is with climate control and better storage practices to remove sulfur, or air, or moisture from it's storage environment.

or you can let it go and do it's thing as nature intended it to and check back later and see where it is.

and technically the toning isn't "even". It's just not "spotty" at all which is really good, but it is darker toward the edge of the coin than the center, which is totally normal. as the toning gets thicker it will reflect different colors from wavelengths of light off the surfaces. It won't just go from this gold/yellow/brown to black, it "should" kick over to blue, red and purple around the rim in towards the center next but depends on what the contaminant was that started it (usually sulfur and some mild humidity).

Nothing wrong here at all, unless you just personally don't like it, which is a preference. eventually this will color up though and get even better with time.
Also I'd like to add it's well centered, a lot of time the toning forms from one direction inward or one side, so the "toning ring" is partial or seems to be off centered.

Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Believe it or not, every single time I think about trying to get a better pic to share in NATURAL LIGHT, it is either nigh time or raining outside!

But the added info is useful. BIGKINGDOM: I sorta' don't like the toning... BUT the fact it is rather even and not splotchy, and I am on a super-low budget, and STOLE the coin (less than 1$ + shipping), I guess I should keep it!

I emailed NGC asking if their numbers at all reflect the date the coin was slabbed. They asked me for the # (which stupid me forgot to give them) and I am waiting for a reply.

Stay tuned...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17170 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It used to be they would not tell you when a particular coin was slabbed but they have been getting better at providing that information on request.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wellp you are right, they didn't tell me anything you guys and their site didn't already tell me. Oh well, I think we can assume it was slabbed well after 2000. I just thought perhaps "toned" was included on the tags. Perhaps they only do this for $$ coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, they do not do use that designation on any coins.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 787Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05