Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For A New Set To Complete. Franklin Halves.is That Set Challenging?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 939Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53774 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A mid-grade circulated set, easy to buy as a whole, will never be worth much more than bullion value.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog,

Your statement is true, but I take comfort in an alternative expression of what you said: a circulated set of Franklins won't be worth much less than its bullion value, which should represent one's acquisition costs, as long as purchases aren't made at high tide in the precious metals market.

I have anxiety when I buy nicer coins with no value beyond their collectibility, or many multiples of their bullion value. If coin collecting went the way of model railroading and the like, then that money is gone...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17170 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No stoppers in circulated condition though, right?

No real stoppers in MS either unless you want real high end or full bell line coins.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1506 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Coin Week article about the series - https://coinweek.com/us-coins/short...half-dollar/

No show stoppers at all, I was able to complete my circulated set via purchases from kind folks here.

CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the complete set in Mint State condition, though not slabbed as I have capital plastic holders for each year complete set with all denominations and mints. I also have a roll from 1956 and 1962, both mints that are in air tite holders. The set was not difficult to put together.
Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny that you asked that question. I just posted a well researched blog on this series on the ANA site. At todays prices it is possible to assemble the 35 coin business strike set for around 1200 in third party graded MS63/64. Granted, not many would be FBL, those would set you back more of course. Still, a nice shiny set is very doable on practically any budget.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
4115 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to complete a set about six years ago, 70% filled via roll hunting over the last decade.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10775 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Franklins are the first set I ever completed, mostly because it IS such an approachable set. 35 coins (if you use the Dansco album) and none of them showstoppers.

Quote:
Still, a nice shiny set is very doable on practically any budget.

Exactly.

Like a lot of others, I completed most of mine by going to my LCS, sifting through circulated Franklins and cherrypicking the nicest ones. I didn't keep track of the total cost but it can't have been more than a dollar or two per coin over spot on average.

After I finish my Ike graded set, I may start a slabbed Franklin set. Thanks for the nudge and good luck with yours.

Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was able to complete a set about six years ago, 70% filled via roll hunting over the last decade.
Well done!

My Franklin set was about 50% funded by coin roll hunting in the 90s. I traded a batch of found silver with a dealer for the coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I traded a batch of found silver with a dealer for the coins.

Very innovative!
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very innovative!
Yes, and I wish I had thought of it first.

I was talking to the dealer one day and mentioned how I was building a nice collection of silver finds. He asked me what I planned to do with it. I was like

Then the offer came, which was a little more than half spot. I only had face value in them and he still gave me a "frequent customer" discount on the coins, so I was more than pleased. After all, I now had a complete FHD set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, and I wish I had thought of it first.

I was talking to the dealer one day and mentioned how I was building a nice collection of silver finds. He asked me what I planned to do with it. I was like

Then the offer came, which was a little more than half spot. I only had face value in them and he still gave me a "frequent customer" discount on the coins, so I was more than pleased. After all, I now had a complete FHD set.

Excellent!!

You're kinda singing my song as well. For whatever reason, I just wasn't in the mood to kill myself going out and finding mint state or FBL coins.
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was fortunate he was flush with FHD at the time. He got to move inventory and I am 99.9% sure that silver was sent out for scrap (in other words it was not on his books for long).
Pillar of the Community
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 939Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05