Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1930 Standing Liberty Quarter - Full Head

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 387Next Topic  
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Opinions on the 1930 Standing Liberty quarter? It's a beauty that I want to get certified.

Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She's been tucked away and protected for years, that's for sure. She's a beauty! MS something!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1828 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Type 2b. It looks like a solid original survivor coin.

The central devices (such as the shield) are a bit soft. Other than a few dings on the sash and right leg, the obverse is solid. The reverse has very few contact marks. I could see this one as net MS-64.

The TPGs have different standards for determining FH designation. IMHO, your coin comes up just short of FH by PCGS standards. The ear and hairline near the third leaf aren't as distinct as PCGS seems to demand. You may have a better shot with ANACS or NGC.

Sit tight. Others will weigh in shortly, and may well see the grade and FH questions differently.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54879 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64, not quite full head.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2013 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to agree with the above. MS-64, just shy of FH. But great eye appeal, I like it!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I value your opinions. I've been on the fence about the FH, I thought it might meet the minimum shown on the PCGS Grading Tips page https://www.PCGS.com/news/tips-from...%20part%201. Either way it's getting certified. Now to find a few more coins to send together and minimize the shipping costs.

Tom
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS has a special going on right now. It ends on the 30th.

Wherever you submit it, post it here when it comes back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see a close-up of her feet...asking for a friend..
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2013 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
asking for a friend..

Suuureeee
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1828 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Greasy Fingers, Exactly. All four of her toes are there, along with most of the rivets and the verticals of the inner shield.

EDIT: IMHO, even for an abraded shield, it's weak.
Edited by fortcollins
11/26/2020 10:53 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Greasy Fingers anything for my friends...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14880 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all she's not showing any toes at all . I'm seeing wear on obverse , Not weakly struct in my opinion . I also strongly feel the obverse has been buffed up .
A details coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9797 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i dont see any signs of buffing on this lady. all the luster appears to be there across the high devices.

as for FH here is the PCGS description:

Quote:
there must be three complete and distinct leaves present (they must be separate from each other and the other details of the hair, with only the slightest blending); the hairline must be distinct all the way around the face;

this one is a tough call. it appears that the hairline separation is there but the leaves are boarderline. on a good day at the TPG it could cross the line.

i like the overall look of this coin. I have it at MS64 also. even if it doesn't make the designation its worth grading and would be bonus if it did
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1828 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, "Full Head" is misleading. The issue is a full strike. The head is notoriously weak, though.

The 1930 is an enigma. With the recessed date, Type 2b design, and last year of issue, it should be one of the easiest dates to find a bold strike, but it isn't.

One of the varieties for 1930 is an abraded obverse die. This is one of them. The outer and inner shields were badly overpolished, probably to reduce evidence of clashing. That makes grading and full strike analysis tough.

Apart from the head, there are other key indicators of strike quality.

On the obverse, starting at the top of the design, the head should have a clear and complete hair line, a defined ear slit or ear hole (slit on this one), and three distinct leaves. This coin has three leaves, but not sharp, a distinct ear slit, and a complete but not sharp hair line. The shield should have both horizontal and vertical lines on the inner shield and all of the rivets on the outer shield. On the abraded die variety, the lower left rivets are usually missing and the horizontal lines are partly abraded. This coin is missing all of the horizontal lines. The gown (my wife is proud of me because I didn't refer to it as a bathrobe this time) should have clear folds. There is debate whether the buttons need to be visible. This coin has weak fold details and no buttons. There should be five visible toes on the right foot. I respectfully see three very weak toes and one blob that is essentially a fourth toe. Even on an abraded die, there should be some indication of each of the five toes.

On the reverse, there should be some breast feathers and some detail on the inner wing feathers. This coin has some detail.

All in all, I still see this one coming up short on a FH designation. PCGS is especially tight on the designation.

JMHO.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 387Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05