Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Penny Errors - Help Confirm If These Are Die Cracks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 303Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  1:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sdbarnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

New to looking at pennies. Came across a few rolls of bank sealed 2020s the other day and started looking through them. Surprised but the number of spots and such on a uncirculated roll. Anyway, I see lots of cracks and chips and such and am wondering if these are Die Cracks and if these errors are worth anything. The crack in the upper left had corner of the shield is very common in the first roll I searched... probably 1/3-1/2 the roll. The other pictures show interesting cracks underneath the lettering. I can only assume this is a manufacturing error. Thoughts? This I 4 different pennies.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47887 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A die crack is raised. These look like incuse marks, which are coin damage.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sdbarnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By Coin damage do you mean during production or after? I see cracks underneath the lettering in places..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4630 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin damage is post mint from handling ( PMD).

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sdbarnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I didn't realize this kind of damage was possible in an uncirculated roll. Weird.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4630 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mishandling comes from all the coins being pooed together and then loaded into wrapping machines. The only way to get uncirculated coins is in mint sets, or luck from rolls.
ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
11/27/2020 5:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47887 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF you watch videos of coin production, the coins are not carefully placed in bins, they are dropped into in a constant flow. Also the coin years ago used to be handled in $50 bags of coin in banks and $25 bags from the mints. There concern is to make coins. Quality concern is what collectors search for. Looking for the best coins to keep for the future. Other people intentionally damage coins to see if they can make it look like a mint error. When they fail, what so they do with the coin? Spend it, and they turn up here with some one saying, "I found a mint error", but they are just wanting it to be something, that it is not. On the images you posted, did you notice that the EPU devices are incuse? (Below the surface of the design) When these coin takes a hit, if makes an incuse mark on an incuse device. Sometimes it is not as deep as the design, other times it is deeper than the design. I found one that was both:

When you view the image in the horizontal view point it appears the the mark is running behind the devices. But rotating the coin90 degrees, then you can see that is not the case. It show the mark as above the depth and below the depth. This was a coin hit, often called a bag mark. Coin hits from in bags, opened in tills of registers. Damage happens many times during a circulated coins life. But the fact is, that they happened after the strike. So they are not a mint error.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05