Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post #82: Please Help Identify Seleucid Ae 21mm

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 251Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  3:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin is 21mm in diameter an weighs 12.58g. It appears to be a Seleucid coin of some sort, but other than that I'm not sure at all. Please let me know if you guys have an idea about what this specifically is.

Valued Member
Cyprus
170 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe is Antiochos VII Sidetes
i couldn't find a link for bronze, only a silver coin to compare the symbol on the left
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3000740
ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ is at the right, if you can see any tracks at the left of the word ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ that's him
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the left side of the reverse I am able to make out "TPIOY" at the end. The letters before that are too far off flan to distinguish
Valued Member
Cyprus
170 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seleukid, Demetrios II Nikator
Pillar of the Community
United States
5519 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
23408 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the coin may have been lacquered hence the dark black color. A soak in acetone should clean it off.
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help, and I will try to clean it with acetone
Learn More...
United States
18209 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@twood, can you clarify if the coin is silver with a layer of heavy varnish or rather bronze?

We were typing at the same time. I'm interested to see what this coin looks like after its bath.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Cyprus
170 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gloves and eyes protection glasses when using acetone definitely
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what the coin looks like after the acetone bath. It definitely took some residue off, especially on the edge. There was originally some tan gunk on the edge, gone now.

But its still just a bronze...

I paid $6.36 for it as part of a lot of poorly pictured Roman coins on Ebay (this was the only Non-Roman one)

Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot find any bronze examples of my coin online. It seems like the eagle reverse was only used for the silver coins, but not the bronze ones.

Do you guys think my coin is forged, or something else weird like that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5519 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the cleaning is revealing bronze underneath, then that's a problem. There are fakes of these in bronze.
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, yikes. Then I'm guessing this is a fake. And it wouldnt be a contemporary forgery, right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5519 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect modern, similar to this fake:

Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, looks the same. I'll attribute this as a fake then. Thanks for the help on this one.
Learn More...
United States
23408 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also suspect a fake that was disguised with the lacquer to cover it up.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05