Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us Your Top 10 Coins/Artifacts Of 2020.

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,054Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
18312 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@palouche, a very nice idea for a thread. I've haven't been super-active with the auctions this year, but this is one of my faves that I did pick up:

Here is a Denar from the German Bishopric of Speyer that dates to between 1067 and 1073 AD. I have it attributed as Dannenberg 841. Interestingly, Speyer is one of Germany's oldest cities, dating well back into Roman times. According to Wikipedia, it was a military camp just before the BC/AD switch and Ptolemy called it "Noviomagus" on his world map in 150 AD. Not too many cities have celebrated their 2000th anniversary!

I haven't made it to this part of Germany yet, but perhaps at some point I'll be able to visit.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ir is worth going out of your way to get there just to see the cathedral, which is linked to the persons on your coin, I think. https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/168/ I used to go to Hoechst (suburban Frankfurt) for work occasionally, and added on a vacation day to visit. Somehow I never made it to Aachen, which is a pity (but I digress).

And really neat coin, more reminiscent of contemporary Byzantine designs (reverse) than Western Europe.
Edited by tdziemia
12/05/2020 10:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2173 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Spence!...Checked out Speyer on Wiki and it looks beautiful there. Wow what an impressive Cathedral, hope you get to visit there in the future...Thanks for sharing!..
Paul
Learn More...
United States
18312 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx guys. Yes lots for me to do the next time I'm in Germany. Speyer's cathedral is now on my short list so thx for that lead @tdz.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5532 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it seems we're doing this as a pile-on this year, rather than as individual threads. Works for me...keeps it consolidated.

I suppose that 2020 was the year I darn near gave up coin collecting. My single coin pickup this year was way back in January. It was a van't Haaff plate coin, from the collection of a recently deceased collector who - based on his last name - was, in all likelihood, a relative who I did not know. I wrote about it here.

I had intended to return to some vigorous coin collecting this year, after detouring last year to satisfy my thirst for ancient weapons, but it just didn't happen. Not only did I not collect coins this year but, in fact, I sold off quite a few coins to help fund my antiquities purchases. I will continue to sell coins from my Parthian collection through 2021 and beyond. (I will be holding onto, and occasionally adding to the Vologases III "tiara type tets" that I like so much, however...and I will continue to occasionally purchase Elymaeans that pique my interest.)

But, my 2020 was focused on beefing up my Bronze Weaponry of Western Asia collection, and on starting a collection of ancient pottery. Both of these collecting areas are fraught with challenges, not the least of which is the ridiculous number of fakes on the market - including, I suspect, through what are supposed to be respectable platforms. I am proceeding with purchases very, very carefully, and am particularly seeking material with solid provenance.

Tie for the tenth spot:

AE Dagger/Short Sword
Possibly NW Iran
1200-800 BC
44.2cm (17.4")

I added a number of blades to the collection this year. This one stands out due to its length. I believe it's the third longest in my collection at this point. (See what I did there?)

AE Spear Butt (Counterpoise)
Western Asia (likely NW Iran)
Early first millennium BC
18.1cm (7.13")
Ex-Private UK Collection

I picked up three spear butts this year and like them all. They're all in typically rough shape, but this one may be the nicest of the bunch. (There's an obvious joke I could be making here, but I'm striving to rise above my childish inclinations...it's been a real battle)

Bowl

Cypriot
Cypro-Geometric III, Early Iron Age
c. 850 - 700 BC
15.8 cm (w) x 38 mm (h)
(6 3/16" x 1 1/2")
Ex-private collection, Kent, UK. Acquired 1960's - 1980's; underside of base has an export license reference number from the Cyprus Museum in Nicosia.

I'm really fond of this one despite the breakage and repair.

Bucchero Ware Chalice

Etruscan/Etruria (Central Italy)
c. 7th - 6th century BC
12.7 cm (w) x 89 mm (h)
(5" x 3.5")
Ex-Wesley Laws Collection

An impressive example of Etruscan pottery from an important collection.

Tripod Bowl

NW Iran
c. 2000 - 1500 BC
11.43 cm (w) x 10.8 cm (h)
(4.5" x 4.25")
Ex-Marcel Gibrat Collection

From an important collection, and from the same period and location as most of my weapons.

Guttos

Greek
c. 5th - 4th century BC
12 cm (l) x 60 mm (h)
(4 3/4" x 2 3/8")

Generally, I like the rougher surfaces and the occasionally quirky forms of some of the Iranian ceramics. But this Greek piece spoke to me.

Pitcher

Central or NW Iran
c. 1000 BC
11.18 cm (w) x 12.7 cm (h)
(4.4"x 5")

Good provenance, quirky form, patterning still visible...what's not to like?

AE Spearhead
(Dealer's picture; item is en route)
Western Asia (likely NW Iran, and quite possibly Marlik...It is a nice match to figure 130, Plate X, in Ezat O. Negahban's Weapons from Marlik)
1200-800 BC
31cm (12.2")

This piece fills a gap. I've wanted an ancient Iranian socketed spearhead of this type since I started collecting weaponry from Western Asia, but the prices have been off-putting. Prior to this purchase, I only owned one socketed spearhead, and that one is of an entirely different form.

Jug

NW Iran
12th - 10th century BC
13.97 cm (w) x 15.24 cm (h)
(5 1/2" x 6")
Ex-Arthur M. Sackler collection.

From an extremely important collection (same as the next one). This one has held up well through the millennia.

Footed Cup or Bowl

Parthian
Mid third century BC to early third century AD
13.34 cm (w) x 11.43 cm (h)
(5.25" x 4.5")
Ex-Arthur M. Sackler collection.

Trifecta (or, if hockey's your game, a hat trick): Parthian, ex-Sackler, AND published (in Trudy S. Kawami's Ancient Iranian Ceramics from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections). Thus, high on my list this year.

Vessel/Pot

(Likely NW Iran, based on similarity to vessels excavated at Tepe Giyan, Godin Tepe, and Tepe Sialk in NW Iran)
c. 1000 BC
24.1 cm (w) x 20.32 cm (h)
(9 " x 8")

This is the largest and, when seen in person, perhaps the most impressive of my pottery pieces. It comes from an important collection. My fave pickup of the year.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2173 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!......What a beautiful collection!..
It must be so interesting to research these types of artifacts Bob. Love the mix of weaponary and ceramics they must look pretty stunning in your newly acquired glass display cabinets ....
Pottery wise..I still love that black Bucchero and the Parthian footed cup because of their simplistic design for me aesthetically appealing, but they're all beautiful pieces!...
Weaponary wise..#10 That's a very big weapon you've got there Bob!, and the spear butts seem to have been designed to allow their owner to use the spear in the reverse too! Clever!....#4 That's a lovely piece really like the form and looks in very good condition!..All have a nice greeny patina (Do you still use this word for weaponary?)
Congratulations Bob on a really interesting group..Very impressive and thanks for sharing.
PS....I pm'd you back a while with some weaponary that had come up for sale...How was it? Interested as to whether they turned out to be the real thing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5532 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Paul.

Yep, "patina" for the weapons too.

Quote:
pm'd you back a while with some weaponary that had come up for sale

Indeed. #4, the socketed spearhead is from that group. Thanks for the tip.
Learn More...
United States
23416 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really excellent coins and artifacts that you all have acquired this past year. I am enjoying this thread even though I can not contribute.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2173 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Indeed. #4, the socketed spearhead is from that group.
.....Good...There were some nice pieces, that stone handled dagger!....I also didn't know they had hand grenades back in the 6th century!?

Ron I hope everything settles down for you and your family in the New Year and you can get back into collecting. Did you pick up any of those beautiful Japanese prints this year?
Learn More...
United States
23416 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul me too. I did pick up a number of prints this year, but none in the last few months. One in particular I got for cheap money. A copy of the same print sold at Christies for $23,000. Mind was a nice example until the US Postal Service got a hold of it and punched two holes in it. I've been waiting to hear back from Christies and Sothby's for an appraisal. Don't expect it to be much now that it was holed, I did repair it but it does take away from some of it's beauty. I picked up others also, one is a set of 19 prints which shows the printing of the first print until it is completed this one with 18 induvial colors.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
540 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a good idea to include artifacts in this thread Paul. Some really lovely coins have already been posted, and it's great to see some of Bob_L's amazing collection of weaponry and pottery too.

Thanks for posting the weapons, and the pottery items Bob. The pottery is so well crafted, and it is amazing that it has survived so well over the centuries. I do like the Bucchero Ware Chalice, and the Guttos, very much.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't add any ancients this year, but during the early part of 2020 (pre-COVID), I did add the following dated coins from the late 1400s:

1495 -- Duchy of Pomerania / Damm, 1 schilling:

--------------------------------------------

1494 -- Duchy of Pomerania / Damm, 1 schilling:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(continued)

1488 -- Elecrtorate of Saxony / Margraviate of Meissen / Schneeberg, 1/2 schwertgroschen:

-------------------------------------------------------

1483 -- Duchy of Julich-Berg / Mulheim, 1 bausche:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(continuing)

1481 (AH886)-- Sultinate of Juanpur, 1 tanka of 80 rati:

------------------------------------------------------

1480 (AH885) -- Sultinate of Juanpur, 1 tanka of 80 rati:

Edited by pepactonius
12/12/2020 1:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(continued)

1467 -- Electorate of Saxony / Margraviate of Meissen / Freiberg, 1 horngroschen:

All of these should find their way into the "How far back can we go" thread.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,054Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05