Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Typeface Used On Norse Medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 269Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  3:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know what typeface is used on the reverse of the Norse Medal ( PCGS #'s 9450, 9451, and 9452)--or where I would be able to find such information?

I've tried searching for information about the coin on various sites (such as PCGS, NGC, Wikipedia, etc.) as well as various font identification sites, and have unfortunately come up short.

I particularly like this font and would very much like to use it in some graphic design projects.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the text:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5060 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No standard typeface was used. When James Fraser sculpted the design back in 1925 he created each needed letter by hand in a style he believed matched the medal's overall design theme. A close examination of the lettering will show variations among the same letters due to their manual creation.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems Thank you! Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but that's quite helpful! Now that you mention it, I do see a bit of variation (that isn't merely kerning or shifting) on the O's, N's, and R's. He was impressively consistent on the A's, T's, and H's, though.

On a side note, I do wish the Mint paid that sort of attention to typography on today's coins. In looking at the 2021 Silver Eagles, it appears that they will now be using three different typefaces (with varying degrees of serif) on the same coin. I'm not sure how these things end up getting approved that way...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10773 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a pretty cool typeface. I bet you could make your own with any number of font generators available using that as a guide. Of course you'd have to interpolate / extrapolate for a few missing letters...
Valued Member
299 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Stylistic" in the present tense, "stylized" in past. Translates into : 'anything goes'. Made a comeback in the 1960's.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05