Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Coins Rim Ding And Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 313Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ian4895 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey y'all!

Recently picked up some nice proof silver and gold coins, and I'm planning on sending 'em to PCGS for grading. A few of them have some dings on the rim where it meets the edge of the coin, but the surface looks pretty perfect, and I was wondering if this would hinder their ability to score a 70?

Much appreciated as always!
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi would need pictures of both sides of your coin. Please only post one coin at a time.
Learn More...
United States
18333 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes if you post well-lit pics in separate threads, we can give you an opinion of their grade. With that said, it is my understanding that rim dings would negatively affect a coin's grade.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17914 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chip is right.
Without pics, we cannot give you a reasonable accurate opinion.
Nevertheless,
unless a proof is absolutely pristine, without even the slightest hint of a problem, it will never rate a PF70 grade.

Grading and return shipping fees cannot be justified if the nominal potential value is less than $100.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2428 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to the photos. Sadly, rim digs are not our friends--especially when seeking a higher-end MS/PR grade.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ian4895 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's very hard to see on camera, but I did my best. The other marks are dust not actual coin marks. The coin is a v75 and I'm submitting a few of them along with some 2020 gold proofs (non v75 sadly) and some proof benjamins (arriving tomorrow or so)
Edited by ian4895
12/03/2020 5:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang. That is unfortunate. My guess says that drops it to at least a 69 or 68, but I'm certainly no expert in the ethereal world of high-end grading (above 67+ or so)...

Out of curiosity, though, how is the strike quality? That seems to be a pretty big factor in the higher-end grades, as far as I can tell. With that said, even if it's great, a ding may override that anyway at the 70 level.

As for the V75, I haven't looked at mine yet. So it could have a giant scratch down the center and I wouldn't know... Still waiting on some other coins to arrive (Mayflower Silver Set... ) before sending it in.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On a side note, it may be the holder or lighting, but your rim looks interesting to me. All of mine have a single rim, but your rim appears in this picture to be doubled.

Also, one positive sign for you: I do have a PR70 ASE with a slight ding on the rim. It's a bit less obvious than this one, but I guess it doesn't seem to be an automatic disqualification.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ian4895 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The strike looks great to me, doesn't look weak at all. And yep, I think it's slightly double rimmed near the top.

I just opened another one and it looks like that one has a small struck through mark on it... no chance of 70 for that one lol
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17914 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proofs are normally double (or even more), struck to help bring up as best as possible,
the detailed frosted cameo, as well as to guarantee the mirror finish of the fields.
Therefore, the strike quality of proof ASE's should always be of the highest standard. That means all of them, especially when every buyer expects the best quality. The Mint due to their own very high standards for proofs, is not in a position to disappoint any intending buyer.

As a result, the grading of a proof comes down to it's condition, which for a PF70, has to be absolutely pristine.
The best way of retaining PF70 condition is to ensure that it is air tight encapsulated, before the product leaves the Mint. This is the policy of the Royal Australian Mint. However, I think the U.S. Mint does a far better job to produce the cameo effect.

Grading and return shipping fees are not justified for any coin (proof or otherwise), with a potential nominal value of less than $100.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05