Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do I Date A 1960's Australian Bank Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 531Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  6:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TW3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1960-65 Australian Bank Note that I need to date. Does anyone know where I go to get this information?

Thanks,

Tom
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38947 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Maybe the 63 is the date?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TW3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are others that have a 31 where the 63 is, so that theory doesn't work, but thanks.

With later years the Australian Bank has this defined but back in the 1960's.

Good though! Tom
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4122 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might there be a publication that indicates what serial numbers were used in each calendar year? Australians would surely know.

There was only one set of signatures during that period.
Edited by oriole
12/09/2020 8:15 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TW3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this to another forum that had a discussion open on dating. This is what I told them.

"thai-vic suggested a Krausses World Paper Money catalog. I have order one of these. Hope that it will help!"

Thank you for contributing!

Tom
Learn More...
United States
99342 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TW3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where to, pray tell?
Learn More...
United States
99342 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right here in the "Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money: Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)" forum. Just look above the topic title or below the last reply to see where any topic you are viewing is located.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TW3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent. Thank you!
Learn More...
United States
99342 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
998 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2020  12:12 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually we go by signatures on the note as to what exact year the prefix was printed I don't know if there is a way. First year this signature combination was 1961 AF 20 - First prefix and AH 65 - Last prefix for general circulation.

Note I'm quite sure paper go via the serial alphabetical order and has no correlation with the numbers as oppose to the modern plastic ones.

so AF-AG-AH (when all the numbers are taken 000001)

Edited by ryurazu
12/11/2020 12:18 am
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TW3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have any book that you recommend to get the designations on these notes? I only have 57 of them. Don't want to waste money. I have what constitutes as collection, if you include coins, but my purpose for identifying them is so I might at some point sell them.

Krausses World Paper Money Catalog was recommended.

Like in the case of this bill, I don't understand the basis for the various datings and designations, and I don't know where to find all of this information on line.

The estimated value is all over the place.

I have a Bahamas 4 Shilling note that is different from anything that I see on line and I don't know where to post it?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1742 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2020  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Greg McDonald catalogue is reasonably informative on notes, though as said, I don't think you can get the exact year most Australian notes were printed until the early 1990s when the last two digits of the year were added to the serial number.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be completely honest, speak your true feelings for it and suggest romance and holding her hand and maybe she will let you date her. Women and banknotes love sincerity.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
860 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Be completely honest, speak your true feelings for it and suggest romance and holding her hand and maybe she will let you date her. Women and banknotes love sincerity.

Valued Member
Lithuania
53 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a 1960-65 Australian Bank Note that I need to date. Does anyone know where I go to get this information?

Recently I came across the same note and my Krause 23d edition (Y2018) says it's 1961-1965 ND issue. No more glues how to identify the exact year of printing so I guess counting down the serial's would be the only option to get an approximate.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 531Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05