Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Having Sales Tax Issues Again.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 470Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  2:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
eBay was erroneously charging sales tax on coins in PA and some other states 6-8 months ago.

They fixed the problem but it's back again.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54530 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, they never fixed the problem. I have fought them unsuccessfully for the last six months over several currency purchases, only to cancel the sale each time when they would not even reply. I used to spend $10K or more a year on eBay currency transactions, but now - nothing. Once your complaint is sent over to their tax department it just falls into a black hole.
Valued Member
Poland
371 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog - much like any other query - now not only do they ignore sellers, but buyers as well... the clock is ticking on that business model...
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5815 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had an issue several months ago on a coin purchase from NJ shipped to TX. They charged me 8 1/4% Texas sales tax on it. I ended up on the phone with a CS rep and she assured me it would be resolved. Took a few weeks but I got my refund.

Unfortunately, paper currency does not fall into the "coin" category in some states sales tax exemptions and will be taxed appropriately. It gets taxed in Texas.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It popped back up for me too. Iowa doesn't charge tax on coin sales. But when Iowa first started making ebay charge sales tax on other things, they mistakenly did coins for a while. But I thought that was fixed. Haven't paid any for the last 6 months. But my last two purchases it was back. I thought maybe it was that the states they were coming from charged it. Now I'm not so sure.

That last two purchases were auctions, so I couldn't back out once I realized the sales tax had been added. Fortunately it was only a couple bucks each time. But I'm going to be mad if it's all sales going forward.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weird, now any BIN coins I put in my cart, and go to check out, no sales tax. I've tried from various saved sellers. Including one in my state and several in other states.
Pillar of the Community
United States
957 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just happened to me again last week. I bought two Kennedy halves two weeks ago; no problem. Last week they charged me $1.32 tax total for my latest Kennedy purchase.
I wrote a note (as I see from previous posts that was dumb to try) telling eBay that A) Michigan does NOT tax coins, and B) charging me tax on delivery fees (labor) is illegal.

I paid non-the-less and am waiting for delivery. I guess I shouldn't expect a refund in the near future.
Learn More...
United States
95656 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I have been lucky and have had no problems with sales tax this year. No sales taxes on coins in SC, and as expected no taxes charged on my eBay coin purchases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They fixed my issue yesterday afternoon. Paid for that coin and have bought another today with no sales tax.

So it appears for PA anyway they have fixed the issue again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7304 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I called them about a month ago about some erroneous tax they charged me. They said they bring it to the higher ups and get back to me. I had forgotten about it, they just reimbursed me.&
Learn More...
United States
95656 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had forgotten about it, they just reimbursed me
Excellent!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05