Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Revisiting 2020 And My Collection

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 624Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For a lot of people 2020 sucked, and I'm sorry, but I'm generally an optimist, so I have to look at the positive and 2020 was actually a good year (for my collection at least). Yes my wife lost her job, but she just started working again. My kids did schooling from home, but they did well, and while we didn't do a large vacation we explored our nearby states. And no one got sick (so far), so I can look on the positive.

As to my collection, I actually did pretty well, I completed several sets that I had started:
1) Pretty Lady Walking in Sunshine (50 cents)

2) Bison Nickels (5 cents)

3) ASE (1986 to 2020)

4) Liberty (V) Nickels

And I started and completed:

5) a type set of US currency.

6) Canadian Cent Set (large and small cents)

As I revisit 2020, it wasn't the best, but looking at the bright side there was a lot of good.
Edited by hfjacinto
01/01/2021 11:17 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
382 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some nice sets there.
Sounded like you dealt with the challenges 2020 presented and came through alright.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a coincidence. I started the Walking Liberty series in January, 7 of the tough dates left in fine or vf to go and then the Indian Head Nickels starting in October just to keep busy while I search for those halves.

Nice collection! And I like your attitude.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. As you can tell the Walkers and Bison aren't mint state and they were never meant to be. 50-70 % of the bison nickels I pulled from the "junk" nickel drawer at my LCS. I enjoyed doing that almost as much as picking up MS coins. And a friend that passed last year sent me 90% of V nickels and people on CFF were able to get me 50-60% of the Canadian cents! So I really owe my collection to the people of CFF.

Edited by hfjacinto
01/01/2021 11:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfj, nice to hear your family weathered the year well, and especially that your kids did OK in school. I tutored a young woman in our neighborhood who struggled with on-line learning.

Great progress with your collection!

I'm not an expert in U.S. coins, but something doesn't look quite right with that 1918-D 8/7 Buffalo nickel
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2020 was a poor year for my collection. Highlights were:

- Acquisition of a dated 1497 double stuiver

- I'm still around at the start of 2021
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pepactonius

Making it to 2021 is a good start :)

@tdz

My oldest had a hard time as she is college. But she transferred to a community college and found a job coding (my friend has a consulting company and is working in her field). My youngest is an over achiever, so she got an A- in Honors History (mind you taking only AP and Honors classes) and was complaining.

As to the 1918/19 it's a special proof coin! I'm the only one that has one :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice grouping of coins HFJ. Must feel really good to finish up a type set. :-) well done. Waiting on 1 last coin from SPP to arrive and I finish my first type set. It's a variety coin and I don't deal with varieties much but I do include a few in all my sets. I won't consider the set complete without the varieties of pre chose to be included since I have pre done all my 2x2 flips and binders for every possible coin possible that way I know that after all is said and done everything looks the same. No having to try and track down the same binder in 10 years if they stop making it. I'm a little ocd like that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2182 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least the family made it through healthy, and you made it out with a few more nice additions to the collection........ BUT.....

..... yet again you managed to misspell "Buffalo"
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TY

It must be an auto correct, I try to type in B U F F A L O and my computer corrects me as the animal is a bison
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your update hfjacinto! Glad to hear your family weathered 2020 relatively well. I lost my job mid-year, still on the hunt and hope some current prospects materialize soon. Suffice it to say, didn't have too much disposable income to spend on coins in 2020.

I like the lovely lady walking in sunshine set, some of those early dates are tough even very circulated conditions.

I'd love to see the Canadian cents...more pics?
My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi one fine dime!!

We knew she was going to lose her job (store she managed was closing), so we prepared for it, covid just speeded up the plans and our travel plans got killed, so we just saved the trip money. But it took her 9 months to find a comparable position, so a new position should appear soon for you also.

As to the Canadian cent collection you can read about the small cents here: http://goccf.com/t/366497

And large cents here: http://goccf.com/t/368817

My favorite are the large cents as I was able to also add a small type set of the maritime large cents.

Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks hfjacinto!

You've definitely piqued my interest in these Canadian large cents, very cool indeed! Might have to branch out if my fascination with the 'lovely lady in the winged cap' ever ends (and/or once I have some extra funds).
My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a fan of the "pretty lady with a winged cap". I did a circulated collection a few years ago :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2820 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad to hear you were able to complete so many great collections!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2182 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@HF

Then I guess it's time for a new computer!!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 624Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05