Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 2c Fat Lizard Variety (Previously Referred To As High SD)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 199Next Topic  

Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  5:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have decided better to call Fat Lizard Variety and not High SD.

Attached is "variety" coin and standard Perth 2C Reverse.

Whether Doubling or Die Variety cannot say but cannot see how Machine Doubling as:
- SD is now aligned with top of Right Thumb and not the middle of the thumb
- Thickening of the fingers/claws/digits on hands and feet but not (so) evident or to same extent, if any, on the four (being those other than the thumb)of the right hand.
- The raised sections of the frill, including the perimitre, also appear thicker
- End section of tail is thicker
- Number 2 and base of tail appear unaffected.

As there is no apparent double "image" of any part of the coin just a thickening of the parts where they are bigger/fatter than standard coin implies to me to be more like an engraving issue and not a doubling issue.

It is as though in doing the engraving the Engraver made some of the impressions deeper/wider and in the process bumped the SD higher.

Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have since noted that the 2 is in fact affected.

- End of 2 is curved and not pointy
- End of tail is curved and not pointy
- Tail is thicker for virtually two thirds of its length
- Left side of mouth is wider/thicker.
- Left foot and left hand both enlarged.
- Only thumb and long toe/claw of right hand and foot affected (to any observable degree.
- Outline of frill and the cartilage to left of head widened/thickened.

No sign of duplication of standard design elements expected by die doubling upon misalignment of the die or hub.

To me it is a rogue Die.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mate,you will end up in a padded room if you go down that track with decimals,its bad enough with pre-decimal.
Just a small reduction/increase in Die pressure will result in much of what you describe.

Anyway if thats your thing with Coins enjoy it as you never know when you will find a unique error like the 'mules'.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Basil

May be in padded room already but do not see how more or less pressure can make a coin inconsistent with the Die used.

Too much pressure should enhance or cut coin. Can usually tell this by enhanced rim.

Too little should show faint/er impression - more noticeable on Obverse

But in either case consistent with Die used.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
May be in padded room already but do not see how more or less pressure can make a coin inconsistent with the Die used

Makes a massive difference on how the metal flows but as I don't wish to join you in that padded room I try to stay away from going down that rabbit hole.
Throw in a worn Die and a reduction in strike pressure to try and prolong the Dies life and you get all sorts of wierd artifacts,compared to when the Die was new.
Lots of books & articles written in the 1960's in Oz.about the varieties and how they came about,its easy to blame Hubbing issues but its far more complicated &
complex than that.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to my padded room.
Attached are scans of the Obverse and Reverse of the three examples I have collected as well as the Reverse of a Standard 1966 2C Perth Reverse.
None of the Obverses indicate either a reduction in pressure or an increase in pressure.
As no ghosting or duplication of initial design I discount probability of doubling.
I have been constantly searching for the right description and I consider the most apt to be a[n excessive] Retouching of the Die by the Engraver.
That being the most likely cause (and that the worn Die or Doubling options are less likely) is supported by the mouth of the Lizard. The left side of the mouth is uniformly thicker and it transitions across the top - by it being slightly thicker - to the right side of the mouth being similar to and not evidently thicker than on the standard coin.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 199Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05