Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Me Understand This Canada One Cent Error

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 975Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
30866 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold for $125.95
Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Learn More...
Canada
9458 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I bought it.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
30866 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, draw me a picture as to how this got made. Please.
Learn More...
Canada
9458 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait until I have it in hand.

What I will say, however, is why I bid so aggressively on this coin. I suspect this involves two coins/blanks. Whether it is overlapping planchets or maybe a planchet with an incomplete punch coming apart in the striking chamber. The photos were pretty crappy, and I am quite excited to see it up close. This error would be so much cooler if the second coin involved making this one could ever be found.

It was definitely struck at the mint, and whether or not "mint sport" was involved might be impossible to tell.

I'll post better photos once I get it.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zimmy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in the corner with Johnnysprawl. Two overlapping blank planchets struck at same time. One on center, the other off center. The thickness of both planchets "piled up" caused significant design weakness/blank area due to the double thickness preventing the design to be struck up where there was only one planchet layer. The only thing that looks suspicious is that there is some design showing on one side while the corresponding other side is blank. However, it appears that the struck portion is very weak on the one side and gets even weaker as it gets closer to rim area. There may have been some pressure/metal flow from the double planchet strike area flowing to the single planchet area. My opinion is that the strike pressure had to be low in order for my explanation to be valid since coins get struck through off center blanks all the time but rarely look like this.
Edited by Zimmy
01/14/2021 9:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
791 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ahh....so that's who I was bidding against! well I am glad it went to a good home. looking forward to a full explanation when you receive it SPP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1366 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zonad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I was tempted SPP, but I knew if you were looking at it you would have a STRONG bid in.
Glad you the man!!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1014 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a similar one that sold last month...that's two that I missed out on

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1960S-CANAD...43663.l10137

Learn More...
United States
30866 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note how the obverse on this one is little changed compared to the other one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1014 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but you can still see the weakness on the obv by 'Regina' where the two planchets were not overlapping each other (assuming thats what happened).
Its just not as pronounced
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The just posted coin appears to be struck through late stage cap hence the weakness of part of the obverse. Different causes between the two coins.
Edited by nickelsguy
01/15/2021 6:58 pm
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations SPP, it's a great mind bender of a coin.

I think it's either a single strike with 2 planchets or the coin was struck normally, but only partially ejected, then another planchet was introduced and both were struck again, which would make your coin double struck but not the other.

Either way there should be a reverse image of your coin out there, would be amazing if you could find that one as well.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 975Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05