Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions... 1926-S Buffalo Ni NGC Au-55

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 991Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  3:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All, so this is a possible pickup for my AU-MS set. Been on the hunt for awhile for a decent 26-S, definitely one of the tougher ones, if not the toughest is these grades. It checks all the fields for me in what I'm looking for with eye appeal, strike, die state.

Listed by Bonser and Gamboa on eBay, they're asking willing to take $3,000 for it, but I'm not sure if they do any sales outside of eBay. They look to be an auth. PCGS dealer, but can't find a website.

1- Thoughts in the coin?
2- Has anyone had any experience with the seller?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning coin. Completely legitimate dealers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this with a quick google search.

Bonser & Gamboa Numismatics Phone: 407-909-0035 Clarcona, FL
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don Bonser has been a respected numismatist, author and dealer for many years. Impeccable credentials.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really is a nice looking example Frog, curious how it looks in hand.

@52Raymo, yes I did find their number as well.

I was wondering if anyone had dealt with them outside of eBay at all. Given the way eBay is with their screening messages, asking the seller outright on there doesn't always bode well. Guess I'll just wait and call them Monday. I prefer to work outside of eBay when possible, usually works out better for the buyer and seller (assuming it's from a reputable dealer).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By all means call them. They will likely pay 11-12% fees to eBay and Paypal. If you can pay by check or wire transfer, you should be able to to deduct AT LEAST this from their price.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/09/2021 8:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I'm hoping for CF!

I shot him a brief message saying I'd have to let the offer expire tomorrow, but would like to make a deal and would be contacting him direct Monday. Hopefully he'll get the hint!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you made an eBay offer, or a private offer?
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you can buy a few actual bison for $3,000, but its a lovely coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CF. I just sent him a message asking what he had in mind as a best offer price. I usually see what they're willing to do on eBay first. If numbers aren't too far off from what I'm hoping to pay then I contact privately in hopes of avoiding seller fees as you mentioned. Hoping to pick it up at $2,800-$2,850.

@ captaincoffee..... never thought of it that way
Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20085 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of money. Sure hope it is worth it to you.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given my admiration for Buffs, the fact that I'm building a complete AU-MS set, and this is, IMO, a nice example given the issues this mintage faces......yes, I'd say it's worth it
Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Given my admiration for Buffs, the fact that I'm building a complete AU-MS set, and this is, IMO, a nice example given the issues this mintage faces......yes, I'd say it's worth it
Do not let the haters hate on you!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think you can buy a few actual bison for $3,000

Did a google search and NOPE. you cannot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with Frog. Bonser's a top-shelf dealer. Try buying it outside eBay and see if you can save the tax, too.

Having seriously assembled a good many Buffalo sets (my favorite coin series) over the past forty years, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this coin; this, given the stated goal of AU-BU. IMHO, this coin as close to MS as one can get, if not already there! My best 26-S was a FH, XF, and I've examined many hundreds of them. I'd venture to say that this strong FH, "AU-55" (likely better) specimen ranks in the top 1% of all those out there. Hope you can rope and corral this Buffalo!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 991Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05