Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice 1885 P Morgan, Confused On VAM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 294Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  4:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought an 1885 Morgan recently, but have been unable to figure out the VAM, so I'm assuming it's nothing noteworthy. So far I'm inclined to think it's a VAM 1 normal die. The reverse has a lot of die cracks, so I'm thinking it's a later stage die, but the front is pristine, I mean I couldn't find a crack on it. Does the mint ever use dies where the obverse and reverse are different ages? I noticed that inside the R and B in E Pluribus, it looks like there is tripling. Is that from die deteriation?
If anyone sees something to help identify the VAM I'd appreciate any help I can get. Also, I tentatively grade this at AU 50.Hoping someone helps with that grade. Cheers all.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe VAM-23? It's a far date, and it looks like it's got a die marker in the R of LIBERTY. Not sure if the die cracks match up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9571 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My best guess is VAM-9D5 http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...85_P_VAM-9D5

It looks to be at least AU55 in my opinion.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both, I'm looking closely and both VAMS to try and figure it out. I'll post again when I get a feel for what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
725 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, OBV and REV dies were used for multiple die pairings sometimes.
Sometimes only the OBV or REV die would fail and was replaced,
leaving the other half in use.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave700x, thank you very much for the link to 9d5. I've been looking at the vams when I get a chance and mine certainly looks like one of these. I will confess that in the photo by Mhomei of the obverse diagonal crack, I'm unable to see anything, so it's hard to be sure. Out of curiosity, how did you find this VAM? If I didn't have your link, I wouldn't find it.

Thank you suipakpaikungfu, that's good to know.

Cheers and good collecting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9571 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a link on the VAM-9G page to the un-clashed stage 9.5 EDS in the comments section.
1883-O Nut
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05