Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Authentic Elizabeth I Shilling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3447 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  2:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, I have had this Elizabeth I shilling for nearly 15 years, but I've never been able to determine whether it is authentic or not. It is 30mm and 5.67g. The surface and patina look fairly good, and I do not see any signs of casting. However, it does sound a bit odd when one flips it or tries to make it ring. It sounds a bit more like tin rather than silver. I do have a couple of authentic Elizabeth sixpence, and their surfaces and their overall sound of silver are unlike this shilling.

I acquired this coin ca. 2005 from a relative who received this coin in the 1990s from the widow of a very prosperous businessman in the USA. According to the widow, her late husband purchased a number of world coins during the 1960s-1980s. She was unsure whether it was authentic or not, and my relative who got the coin from her also was never certain. So, if this coin is fake, it is a fake that was made at least 40 years ago.

What do you think?

Edited by Archraz
01/11/2021 2:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
531 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing wrong with that. A perfectly decent 2nd issue shilling 1560-1561. Mint mark martlet. I'd say grades around fine, or a tad better.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7909 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better portrait than most Elizabeth I shillings you see. Often it's almost worn flat.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
531 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right Rob. A very acceptable obverse. Better than most we see on these.
Edited by Hogarth
01/11/2021 7:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1949 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably real, some very thin hammered coins have that tinny ring and your coin is very thin.

Even if this was fake and I doubt it is, it would likely be historic (19th century) or contemporary fake of the time (16th century) the Chinese faking mills did not real start up until the 1990s and it was around 2010 that they became well known. You have already explained the coins history back to at least 1990 - so you have an "alibi" for your coin.

I agree with the 2 above and they know their British coins! So be rest assured.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
01/11/2021 9:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3447 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hogarth,NumisRob,& Princetane - Thank you very much for your assessments. I really do appreciate it!

I'm very glad to hear that it is a 2nd issue shilling ca. 1560-1561. Of course, I have no intention of selling it, but just for the sake of my own records, what do you think the value of this coin might be nowadays? Thanks!
Edited by Archraz
01/11/2021 8:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
509 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the UK I would expect this to sell in the £80 to £120 bracket. Although the portrait is better than many, there is still quite a lot of damage overall and Elizabeth I hammered coinage is surprisingly common over here.
In the US it would certainly go for more - the historical interest and relative scarcity in that market always pushes these higher.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1949 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In New Zealand, such a coin would sell for around $200 which is about what Paddy B says/
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3447 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PaddyB & Princetane - Thank you very much for the information. I do appreciate it!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05