Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 Lincoln Cabin Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 343Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  06:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trogdor to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings and salutations all, fresh new member here with something hopefully spectactular =) found this in change and it just stuck out so I held onto it, I'máthinking that might have been the best decision I ever made LOL Near as I can tell this is a multi-strike ( looks like at least 5 times ) and possibly reverse image strike from a different coin ( seems like the predominate ED is too large for the coin )? I havent gone over it with fine tooth comb yet but I'másure theres other errors on it and perhaps the obverse aswell. Any help identifying this, and valuing it would be most welcomed. I'máguessing I need to send this to PCGS post hastily if its what I think it is. Did my best with pics, apologize for quality of it.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37273 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like PSD to me. Do not send to a TPG.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8515 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum

What you have as John1 stated is a damaged coin.
That could not happen during the striking process.
If it was multi struck, the letters would be raised and reading positive, not reverse.
Do not waste your money sending it to graded.

Correct typo
Edited by JimmyD
01/13/2021 08:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53797 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, just damage.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47940 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note outside edge bulges outwards on that area. Coin damaged to make it look like something it is not. Note only one side of the coin is affected. Probably done with two pieces of wood and two coins. Placed between the wood with the cents inside, a big hammer was used to smack the two coins, altering these. This one is PSD on the affected area. Spender. Use a sharpie on the damaged side and put CCF. Then we will spot it again when it gets posted by the next post.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note only one side of the coin is affected.

Seems Lincoln's shoulder is flattened on the obverse too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47940 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I missed that, but still feel that was altered and wasn't struck like that. The biggest clue is the mirrored devices on the top of the reverse affected area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post strike damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would still keep it. I rarely see these in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5416 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note only one side of the coin is affected.

The damage is clearly visible on the obverse as well, note the flattened edge and the Rim below the Arm,easily noticeable.PMD for certain.
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but still feel that was altered and wasn't struck like that. The biggest clue is the mirrored devices on the top of the reverse affected area.

Yes, absolutely!
Learn More...
United States
94627 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1810 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

We see damaged coins almost everyday here at coin community forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4658 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, PMD. Spend it. Not a mint error, just damage. Don't waste your money having it slabbed.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We see damaged coins almost everyday here at coin community forum.

Really? No kidding! I wasn't talking about damaged coins here on the forum. I was talking about the birth place and early childhood coins in circulation. Read what I wrote.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1810 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really? No kidding! I wasn't talking about damaged coins here on the forum. I was talking about the birth place and early childhood coins in circulation. Read what I wrote.

Why the attitude my friend. I thought you were saying I'd keep it because it's a cool looking damaged coin. My apology for misinterpreting what you meant to say

Your quote exactly

Quote:

Edited by jasper62
01/13/2021 8:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 343Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05