Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984 D Penny Gem Or Junk?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 179Next Topic  
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry for the click-baity title, I could not think of a short way to say what is going on with this coin. I've been searching google for 3 hours now trying to find out what is going on here. There are multiple things going on with this coin and I'm stumped. There's what appears to be a D stamped into Lincolns neck, a slightly raised plateau on the right side of the obverse, a raised bit of metal that resembles a 2 or an S on the plateau, and on the reverse there are 2 raised bumps above CENT. I'm split 50/50 between PMD/Zinc rot for some of it and some crazy die clash. I am still trying to get the hang of identifying die clashes and other types of errors (I am just now getting proficient with Doubled Dies, I have barely scratched the surface with most other errors) so please have some patience, I'm here to learn. Please help, my eyes are killing me from looking at this thing through my phone camera/loop combo lol

Pillar of the Community
United States
4567 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On Abe's neck, what you have is a collapsed zinc blister that just happens to look like a "D". The circle to the far right on the obverse is another blister, and zinc rot is forming around the date. To answer your question: It's junk. Spend it while you can.

ša va bien aller

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the informative answer! I'm going to label and set this one aside for study so I can learn to spot these in the future.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53577 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see some zinc rot and parallel linear plating striations.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
18277 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to label and set this one aside for study so I can learn to spot these in the future.

Good thought--the cost of ownership is low, plus you have an exemplar of what happens when the copper plating has a pinhole and the underlying zinc starts to deteriorate.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was my though process, yes. I am here to learn and become a successful coin collector, so I'm approaching it as much from the professional student perspective as I can. I have an entire album full of examples of things like Machine Doubling, misaligned dies, Struck Through Grease, woodies, and now zincoln rot just for study. I have found tjat it has helped me a lot in quickly identifying NAV errors so hopefully it will work the same for zinc rot lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47827 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The zinc rot is not a keeper. It will always be worth what it says on the reverse. Spender.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 179Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05