Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Expert Opinion By NGC In 5 Minutes Flat?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 370Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
790 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  9:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I finally tried the NGC expert opinion option on eBay for the first time - Hey it's only 5 bucks. But what surprised me the most is that it came back in 5 minutes. In my mind I'm wondering if this could be automated at all?
Or did someone really look at it? Hmmmm

Pillar of the Community
United States
3128 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Devil's advocate:

Maybe someone else paid $5 for NGC to look at that coin previously so they had an opinion already on file?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2500 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wasn't aware that this service was available, so thanks for that!

agree with tanman, and your thoughts on being automated (as in any second inquiries are set to auto reply)

NGC is probably going to collect fees worth more than some coins are worth. /smart.
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of folks agree with NGC, because I see that the coin currently has 44 bids...

Pillar of the Community
United States
5063 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely Genuine!
$5 for that?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2610 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think five bucks for a non-binding "opinion" is something I would want to pay for. I'll pass on this new ebay service.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
2719 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's probably more valuable if the opinion were "likely not genuine". That would be $5 well spent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only considered it because it's so valuable and I was curious. The coin is already out of my price range. But for the price, it's not a bad deal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
525 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin is already out of my price range

But hey, it's only $3 shipping.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4181 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed that is a quick turnaround, though I think they must be used to doing that since they are eBay auctions.
I also shared my experience a while ago, which had the opposite result: http://goccf.com/t/351505&SearchTerms=NGC,service

I am sure it didn't come back in 5 minutes, but sure it was within 24 hrs
Edited by tdziemia
01/14/2021 3:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia thanks for sharing the thread. My final opinion is that it is a valuable service in the right circumstances. Mainly being a very high priced coin from an unfamiliar seller.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travelcoin;

The market has a way of moving to money. So in one respect NGC is being practical in getting multiple people guaranteed probably to ask the same question about a sought after coin, and might be actually making more for their coin opinion than they would if they were asked to slab it by the owner. So you can't blame the company for moving to a revenue stream. But they inadvertently may not realize they are helping to legitimize eBay over auction houses and other coin sites for ancient coins. And the money they make can be considered at the expense of depressed prices for traditional dealers using more established paths to sell coins. Poor brick and mortar anything these days. I have no one to pay in my dealings and can pay more for coins I put up for auction than others perhaps as I have no employees. But do we want a world with no employees and all private contractors doing this only? So much changed this year, not just the probably 50% of small restaurants not part of chains having to close eventually. Lines are blurring so much in who has what job, what competition actually looks like. So NGC is just trying to find their niche I imagine to make it through.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/14/2021 7:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53577 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great advertising scheme. What can you get for five bucks these days?
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Louisville you have some very good points. It's hard for any one of us to stop the evolution of commerce. However, I think there is a niche market out for all vendors. For example, I like to get out of the house and spend some time in my local "brick and morter" shop (who now also lists on eBay). Not sure if eBay will replace legitimate auction houses, but there is a place for both. One thing for sure, is that you will not find "unidentified ancient" too often in a auction house. On eBay there are some greats finds and great sellers that typically beat the hammer price in most auction houses.

In this dog eat dog world you need to adapt or die. In 2000, Netflix offered to sell to Blockbuster for 50 million - they declined and we all know what happened after that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great advertising scheme. What can you get for five bucks these days?

A foot-long at Subway!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05